Tips on securing down XP.

Comments

• XP is old... Install Win 7 and setup accounts as non-admin. Win 7 also has a built-in drive imaging utility... use that instead of re-installing everything from scratch if the disk fails or OS ever gets corrupted. This takes an hour or two at most.
  • Cyclo's suggestion is a good one.

If I might add, getting a removable second hardrive, and once you have your install perfect the way you want it, make an archive copy, remove the backup drive and keep it in a closet where nothing can get at it.

then, you boot to a maintenance partition, enter a few instructions, and go have a sandwich while your system fixes itself.
  • Oh, and another thing, after you mentioned setting up accounts as "non-admin" on Win7, I looked at my account and realized it's an admin account.

I always thought that was okay and secure because of UAC... even though I'm an admin I still have to provide explicit authorization (by clicking "Yes" or "OK") to apps that run as an administrator and when I want to modify system files and stuff.

If I'm the only person who uses this computer, is an admin account okay and just as secure, or should I change my account type to standard (which is what MS recommends)?
  • If you are the only person and you use a non-admin account, you will be prompted for a password (not just a OK/Cancel dialog) whenever you install an app... kind of like Linux.
  • Nice to see that tips on securing XP are being shared given to the fact that now most people have shifted to Windows 7. Thanks a lot for the helpful tips.
  • $50 is cheap for a power supply.. mine are always over $100
  • Yeah, prolly, last one I got was 750 watts