Facebook

edited 10/14/2010 @ 6:04:28 AM in General Discussion

Comments

• Hi Mantra,
    I'm just saying Hi. I don't want to get into the social networking where I've got to remember what I said to whom and whom I've not invited. I'm having enough trouble remembering to keep the gas tank full. I don't have any cell phones, chargers, and other gadgets to complicate my life.
    I guess Facebook has a lot of users. So it must perform some kind of function that I'm missing. How does it differ from this forum?
  • http://www.facebook.com/andybauer

In your friend request, just tell me who you are :)

iggy - The main advantage of Facebook is that it is so large that a lot of people have profiles - Mantra and I have never met but we both have profiles and can connect if we want to. I guess it's just a different type of forum.
  • OK Mantra,
    I do have friends who have asked me to join their group. I've resisted because the more friends I have, the more I need to keep track of. I guess I can just say OK, I'm part of your block of friends and then be distant anyway.
    I did a major disconnect by moving away from the group I knew in the city about 11 years ago. The group smoked dope and that was what we all had in common. I decided to quit and felt that I had to physically get away from the whole crowd to break the chain. It worked.
    I lived in LA for 10 years in the 70's and made a bunch of friends there. I don't have any contact with them. I lived in the Bay Area for about 20 years and have now only a few family types with whom I exchange Xmas cards. I'm not sure if I want to hook up with any of the old gang because we had that extra ingredient that we all exchanged info about. I'm an addict but I've been clean for about 6 years. The next election may make it available at the corner store. I don't know how to deal with any of these issues. Friends generally share whatever they like to do with their friends. I like music - but not too much of the recent stuff. Maybe I'm just a hermit to stay healthy. I guess there is mental health that needs to be addressed. So, without joining Facebook, I've opened up a bit out here. I can shut up if this openness is inappropriate on this forum. I'm still experimenting with life. I wonder why we have this forum. It does take time. Some of us are physically in the house because of some undisclosed reason. Others just have a lot of free time to spend wandering about looking for a good conversation. I think I'm in the latter category
  • I can only speak for myself, but I don't mind you sharing at all.

Personally I'm here out of habit. I got used to hearing from everyone and developed a web-relationship with you all. Now I actually look forward to reading your words. My time here is pretty limited, but when there's a dull moment at work or I'm no break I tend to check. At home I rarely check. My time there usually goes to my hobbies. If I'm having a "re-charge" night I may check a time or two.

Bottom line, I guess it's nice to interface with another human on some level without having to worry about saying the wrong thing to someone at work, etc. I'm a little closed off from most of my co-workers for various reasons, so it's nice to be able to interact honestly during the day.
  • Dam, Dude, why did you not tell me you were in Chicago?
  • edited 10/14/2010 @ 10:48:06 AM
    Hi Geno,
    If you're directing that comment at me, I answer that I got my mother outta there around 2001 because she was getting too many problems with her Alzheimer's. I didn't like the real cold or damp heat in Chitown - the windiest city I know. I moved out in 1969 and moved to Santa Monica during the hippy hey days. I did return a few times to sell our old house and take care of her bank accounts and such. But, it was strictly business. I did visit Homerun Pizza and my old alma mater - Navy Pier. All the Lithuanian friends have passed on or moved to Lamont.
    So Geno, I haven't been to Chicago since 2002 or so. I do remember discussing Market Park and Hyde Park with you. I went to St. Rita High School and still get emails asking for money to keep the million dollar scholarship fund alive. I don't think Chicago is much like it was back in the days I was there.
    I did like going to Wisconsin with grandpa to go fishing for a coupla weeks each Summer. Rhinelander, Eagle River, Long Lake still stay in the recesses of this memory. Chief Evergreen Tree shook my hand when I was 7 years old. These are the things that stay in there. The Calculus and Matrix Algebra from Navy Pier only stayed long enough to pass the test. Engineering at Space Sciences Lab in Berkeley never required any of the math I studied so hard to understand. I wonder how to teach the kids what they really need to make it in life. Any thoughts?
  • err..I'll be in the Chicago area tomorrow night and Saturday morning too. Small world
  • I think I will do it but I have to figure out how to use facebook first.
    "For God so loved the world..."
  • "For God so loved the world..."
  • Isn't that crazy?!?!

And apparently that's not the first time this "experiment" has been performed.
  • I was happy to see Geno respond. I've got that egocentrist in me too. The forum does shine a light on all of our good points along with some blemishes.
    I consider these interactions useful - especially when I get some insight. My kid tells me I talk like I know it all. Maybe the overconfidence is a way to hide myself from myself.
  • Any of you guys who live in / have been in or near Chicago ever hit the Patio? That place has AWESOME BBQ pulled pork sandwiches. Went there a few years ago with my cousin who lives out there, would hit it again in a heartbeat.
  • I don't do Facebook. I do have an account, but I only use it to contact people who's only method of contact is FB.

I like Twitter though. I don't tweet but the fact that it gives you access to what millions of people are saying (right now) is pretty cool and also can be very useful at times.
  • edited 10/16/2010 @ 6:16:43 AM
  • I guess I messed up. I just assumed my post following Mantras would indicate I was replying to him. I saw on Facebook he had been in Chicago and just thought it was a missed opportunity to meet up. Sounds like he's going to be busy Downtown and truth be told, I'm not in Chicago, I'm 37 miles SW in an old I&M Canal port town with a lock which used to lower canal boats, appropriately named Lockport.

Yes, Iggy, I remember our talks about the SW side of Chicago and St Rita, I'm sure I told you I had a scholarship to go to St Rita.. football. I did not use it going instead to Quigley.

Funny you mention The Patio Patty.. I opened the place. What I mean is I worked at Sula Bar & Restaurant Equipment which was two blocks away from Gus's Grill. Gus was an old Greek guy who had two sons working in his corner restaurant. When Gus passed on, he left the grill and a pile of money to one son, who there upon opened a bar right across the street from Sula's, and the other son, John also got a pile of money and he opened The Patio. I consulted with him for weeks on all things restaurant related and sold him the majority of his start up equipment and stock. Then he opened another one, and another one and a similar place called Mindy's and he's doing quite well now I assume. I lost touch with John when I left the bar and restaurant business to work at the bakery.. Holsum Bread.
  • Well there is a story in there. I'm glad you spoke up, Geno. I was a bit worried that I did something - like be too liberal - to get an answer from you.
    I wonder what you said on the other thread to get The Moderator to start editing. I guess there is a "higher up" in all walks of life. "Hi" to the Moderator whomever you are. I hope you are protecting someone out there needing to be protected.
    iggy8n