How to bring the newbies

edited 10/18/2010 @ 6:43:11 AM in General Discussion
So, I asked Google "Where to go to fix a broken computer?" I got lots of places to go. There are plently of high-tech forums that perform this activity. Then I searched for CPUForums.org. Google thought I had mis-spelled something. Did you mean compuforums.org?
If I put the name of this place in the URL box, I get to the right place. But, Google Search still doesn't know that we exist. I did get sent to the old CPUmag website and got to see a lot of magazine front pages. But, that wouldn't work for a newbie to get here either.
I guess that unless there is some way to tell Google that we are here, we will be the only ones here. Prolly over time the Search engines will realise that we exist. But, how will they know that we're looking to help people with broken computer problems? Am I the only one with this in mind? This forum will become just another spot for old friends to reminisce unless we do something to promote the original activity that brought us all here...

Comments

• edited 10/19/2010 @ 6:15:58 AM
    Yeah, the whole forum was about Computer Power Users. That wasn't noobies - exactly the opposite. So, we could use more like CB Hendricks and Freddy. They actually put together computers and knew about how to solve some of the physical gotchas. As I remember there were a lot of threads about which fans, which cases, which GPU, would provide the sweet spot compared to price. Overclocking and coolers was an interesting subject.
    I was never that impressed by the modding and the paint jobs. That was more about model building or auto body work than computers.
    I liked the CPUmag price comparison of processors over time.
    It still looks like AMD is giving more bang for the buck. They are still also somewhat behind Intel in the race for fastest computer in the world. But, that costs a lot and does everyone need that kind of equipment? $300 for an Intel compatible motherboard doesn't make much sense to me.
    I'll start some threads about the things about computers that are on my mind to get the ball rolling. The forum seems to be somewhat less happening than it was during the time I was active. Maybe the MOJO is gone. A lot of players have gone away or are working and taking care of the family.