Weird pc issue

13»

Comments

• edited 08/26/2011 @ 2:48:52 PM
  • edited 08/27/2011 @ 7:30:53 AM
    You can certainly drop the voltage if you ask for more current then the PSU can provide. The fan speed is a good indicator if that voltage is on all the time. Many fans use pulse width modulation to vary the rotation speed as the heat varies. The 3 pin, or 4 pin, fan cable feeds back the fan speed along with supplying the voltage to the motor.
  • edited 08/27/2011 @ 5:41:58 PM
  • update:

i received my psu replacement from corsair yesterday, and my ram replaced last week. i put all the components back together last night in an external build, and it all seemed to be working. the only odd thing was one of the many usb ports would not recognize my test mouse. that makes me fear that there still could be an issue w/ the board. i'm going to put it all back together tonight and just run w/ it. if i encoutner any more issues, there is no doubt whatsoever the issue would be the board.
  • Driver issue maybe, try rebooting or checking the device manager. I've had something like that happen before.
  • edited 10/05/2011 @ 3:09:11 PM
    turned out it was a driver issue. i thought i had installed the board drivers, but who knows. i've redone the damn thing so many times and can't keep track. i ran into an issue w/ my mouse acting up too, but discovered later on there was just some lent in the lazer sensor hole lol.

the only issue now, which is minor, is that "CPU Fan Error! Press F1 to continue" Pops up everytime I reboot. all the fans work accordingly, so i don't know why it gives that error.
  • I'm glad you were able to figure it out relatively easily - unlike me lol. It was a great learning experience however.

My issue ended up being a memory issue. I ran memtest for hours on each stick seperately and never got one error. In the end, it turned out that one stick was bad despite never getting any errors on it. Corsair replaced both and everything worked fine. So I guess my point is, memory is a fickle thing.