Coolest cell phone ever.

Comments

• edited 08/26/2011 @ 5:52:00 PM
  • With the amount of power that a cell-phone uses, it would take a very long period of time before one got brain cancer, IMHO. But, we don't know everything about biology and the human. So, I could be wrong in my estimation. The only thing we have to compare it with is a microwave oven which uses a kilowatt of power at a wavelength that shakes up water molecules. We are made of mostly water. So, I'd worry more about the shielding used in a microwave that could leak that kilowatt a few feet away from the people sitting in the kitchen. A cell-phone is held closer to the brain. (Radiated power follows the inverse cube of the distance between the radiator and the target.) The transmitted power might be 1 watt or so if you charged the battery and just yakked forever until you used up the battery. I don't like talking while I'm walking or driving. It makes me feel disconnected from reality instead of making contact with my wife. It's often a conversation like "Should I buy the large box of Cheerios or the small box?" while one's walking in the Costco aisle.

I don't have one and don't have any plans to get one. I've never needed to call a tow truck yet. I can hitch-hike home and tow the broken vehicle with my big Blazer. I don't have to worry where I left the cell-phone or worry if I remembered to charge it up.
  • As smart phones become more powerful, they'll replace laptops as mobile devices. It's not just a phone anymore, it's a GPS, mp3 player, vedio streamer, digital camera, hand held gaming device, social networking tool, and with downloadable apps you could pay for purchases or order goods and services right in the palm of your hand.

That being said, I still don't want or need one.
  • I had an OG Droid for a year or so, but I absolutely destroyed all the buttons on it. I picked up a Pixi Plus during for $40 NIB. I must say, I like not having the smartest of the smartphones in my pocket - less distraction during class because of the smaller screen. And having a phone that's half the weight (169g vs 92.5g) is great.
  • edited 08/29/2011 @ 9:13:34 AM
  • I got an order in to HP SMB before their cutoff. I've been charged for one, but as far as I can tell, it has not been shipped yet.
  • edited 08/30/2011 @ 2:29:59 PM
  • edited 08/30/2011 @ 2:45:31 PM
  • edited 08/30/2011 @ 6:39:44 PM
  • edited 08/30/2011 @ 7:31:49 PM
  • edited 08/31/2011 @ 11:38:58 AM
    As the market moves (back) toward centralized computing we'll see cell phones functioning as our main device. Many companies, including the one I work for, are looking for ways to bring the main computing power back to the datacenter and having clients connect through thin terminals. This reduces cost, power usage and disaster recovery costs.

We aren't far from the point where we can take our cell phones home with us and return to work the next day only to plug into a docking station with monitors, keyboard and mouse and then using that device to connect to our workstation in the datacenter. In fact, VMware is already working on technology that goes one step beyond this:

http://www.vmware.com/products/mobile/overview.html

We've already tested this technology in our IT dept. We're (the IT nerds) able to connect over 3G to VPN, fire up a software based thin client and connect to a workstation running in a virtual machine in our datacenter. This works just fine over 3G on both the iPhone and Android platforms. Essentially we can be anywhere with internet and work from the same machine no matter where we're at. Add a monitor, keyboard and mouse connection to our mobile devices and we have a full fledged desktop right on our cell phone.

I don't think Geno is far off the mark here.
  • edited 08/31/2011 @ 2:07:41 PM
  • Agreed Cyclo.

On first glance, the virtual desktop model looks a lot like the terminal/mainframe model. It shares a lot of similarities, but is hugely different at the same time. We're talking about a thick client hosted in the datacenter here. The thin client is just a means to connect to that thick client that's sitting somewhere else.

Same model, different application. Again, one of the biggest benefits in this model is that you can connect to your thick desktop from pretty much any kind of device that can run the thin client application. We're looking at Cisco VOIP phones that also have an embedded thin client app. Essentially all any user will have on their desk is a mouse, keyboard, two monitors and a phone.

So yeah, like the old days, but not exactly. I think the cycle is a little more complicated than just rehashing old ideas. I look at it as building on old ideas and applying what we've learned to move technology (and business) forward.

Side note, looks like AG is back.