What's on the radio

edited 09/27/2011 @ 1:30:19 PM in General Discussion

Comments

• I only listen to npr (broadcasted by kcur - local station) on the way to work, and refreshing clasical music (on the local kpr station) on the way home to unwind. Though anymore I just turn the news off and drive in silence. The news is the same ole crap every day, and I get tired of hearing it. Nobody can get anything worth talking about done because.... blah blah blah, I could rant all day about it lol. But I won't :P.

The point is, I don't find anything else of value worth listening to. KCR has the location programs I like the most; eg Writers Almanac or Stardate. They also sometimes have reports on the local agriculture and fresh foods market, which I find intriguing. But those are all short, so I don't spend a lot of time listening to the radio. About 1 hr and 15 mins a day total, which is what I spend in my car on average. If I don't turn it off, that is.
  • That's the problem. We don't ever listen to the radio to hear any good rock & roll or listen to a disk jockey who can tell jokes. Those shows were what I listened to in the car going to school and going to the drive-in hamburger place. Today has become so burned out and no fun that everyone sits in front of the computer and maybe listens to some radio station with popular tunes for a while. I listened to NPR for a long time. But they don't tell any jokes or play any rock anymore. They do have blues shows. But that's become kinda old like dixieland or jazz. We need some new icon like the Beatles to put our dreams back together. We need to have something worth fighting for - not democratic governments in Afghanistan or Iran, not stopping communism. We need radio to give us some fun.

I can't believe that the majority of the States is religious. Does everyone go to Church? Does everyone still tithe a portion of their income in these days of economic disaster? I don't know what it costs to run a big radio transmitter. But, these religious stations don't have many commercials. They just talk about Jesus does this and thinks that. It's pretty nutty if you ask me. It might be a substitute for loneliness when the wives become widows. There's money in there somehow. I just don't get it.
  • Well, I'm not sure how to go about accomplishing anything like restoring our culture. I was a hippy when I was young. The music was there, the marijuana was there, the only value was shock value, the idea of being free and not doing the general work ethic was very attractive. I was finishing my 4th year of college and getting pretty burned out. So, I dropped out of school, found a pretty chick, got married and moved out of Chicago to Santa Monica. It was sure a different culture here. Everyone was friendly. You didn't have to walk around like you knew what was happening. Nobody was out to bust you or take your money. It was freedom from all the old family tradition.

That lasted for a few years. I was 25 or so. The pretty chick decided it was time for a change. I suffered a divorce and started feeling like I wasn't that cool. This got me to traveling. I did get my mojo back as I met lots of people looking for something more than the house, family, and car payments the rest of their lives. The ones that traveled were looking for something else. I think I discovered that it was only an interesting journey if you get on the road. If the names of cities are just names, they don't make any difference to me. So I understand the "ignorance is bliss" bit about your wife, centra28. If you don't find experiences, you don't have any. Books are a good way to get started thinking about different things in life.
    My 2 cents.
  • I don't listen to the radio.... and in my car I listen to my own choice of music on SD cards.
  • edited 09/29/2011 @ 2:58:44 PM
  • wow, now i really do feel out of touch.
  • Yeah, it is and that's the problem. The installation instruction was quite specific on where to connect what. I may need to go back and see if I can keep the power from going out completely. But, then it might stay on and discharge the battery after a few days. All I want is the radio to know what's been played and what's still left in the list.

The lights on the radio are really bright - even with the dimmer voltage connected correctly. Maybe it's not connected correctly because it does change a bit as I cut the lighting voltage but not nearly enough.
  • JC Whitney has SD card, 2GB USB flash card, CD player radios for like $100. I bought mine from Amazon for something like $70 last year. VRCD400-SDU by Virtual Reality Sound Labs. I know Walmart had them for $77 - but now they are unavailable. Probably China has decided to build something else.
  • I would never buy a car stereo from either J C Whitney or Walmart. Garbage in/garbage out. The absolute lowest quality I would by would be a Pioneer.
  • edited 10/06/2011 @ 7:48:36 AM