What kind of wallet do you have / help me find a cool wallet!

Comments

• Well, we got no allowances.. so if you wanted money, you worked for it. I had a paper route I did before school. I'd be up early and ride my bike to the paper warehouse, which was in a garage a few blocks from my house. I'd pick up my bundles of papers, fold them up and fit them in my bag on the handlebars, then ride to my route which was three streets west of a main street by my house, form 55th to 59th, or roughly half a mile, Justine, Laflin and Bishop streets. (Iggy may remember these). Since you had to deliver to some houses on both sides of the street, it was about one mile per street, or 3 miles total.

Then I'd bring my bike home and walk to school, cuz no bikes were allowed ay my school, stupid Nuns, then after school I'd go right to Nicks Grocery for that job.

When I turned 16 I quit both of those and got a job where my older sister worked at Reo Packaging, which was packing mail order crap, bundling catalogs, working the baggers, tieers, shrink wrappers or banding machines. M-F 5 to 9, Saturday 8 hours.

At 17 I got a job driving a forklift at a trucking company loading and unloading trucks. I did that from 11pm to 7 am all summer, then when my senior year of school started I still worked that job, went right to high school after I got off, then went back to Reo after school. So I worked 40 hours a week at one job, went to high school for 3 classes and worked 28 hours a week at a second job.

I've basically worked all my life. Working.. saving... equals piles of money when your older.
  • edited 11/25/2011 @ 4:33:09 PM
  • edited 11/25/2011 @ 4:53:49 PM
  • We home schooled both our kids for 6 years. We let them wake up when they wanted. They didn't have many video games back then. So, we'd all watch the tube with Stargate or Buffy for entertainment. The library supplied most of those VHS tapes until DVDs appeared. One more year for our high school kid - Sabuk. Nikolai is about finished with college. On to the next thing for him - a job. I do believe home schooling got us to communicate better. No homework ever.
  • I carry one of these with my initials embossed on it.

I don't like carrying a bunch of crap with me and don't like having a thick wallet in my back pocket due to back issues.

http://www.tonyperottiusa.com/products/Ultimo-Weekend-Wallet.html
  • edited 11/28/2011 @ 6:16:47 PM
  • I've had it for a couple years now and it looks like new. The Tony Perotti stuff is superbly made. You'd be surprised how much sitting on your wallet all day will screw up your back. You probably don't even realize it, but you will if you stop doing it. Would one of these work?

http://www.tonyperottiusa.com/products/Prima-Americano-Front-Pocket-Credit-Card-Wallet.html

• edited 12/03/2011 @ 9:09:05 AM
    "For God so loved the world..."
  • "For God so loved the world..."
  • "For God so loved the world..."
  • I had the title of engineer. I was hired by different groups that were funded by some Department of Defense or Energy to build a gadget that would map the stars or monitor what spectrum solar flares were spewing - stuff like that. I had no idea why or how to do any of these things. There was always the Principal Investigator - who wrote the proposal for the money. He would have ideas about what sensors would be able to see the spectrum of interest and how big a satellite would be required to house all the gadgetry to keep it all warm or cold enough, etc. There would be a buyer that would get the sensors defined and ordered. I would then be given the job of building very low noise electronic amplifiers to amplify what the sensors were seeing, convert the analog levels to digital, and output it to a screen or digital data stream to be sent back to Earth.

Well, that all sounded easy enough. But, the sensors were just being built and the output levels were still unknown, the size of the sensor was also not clear, even the material that was being used to build it was not certain. Everyone was still experimenting to find what works better. So, my amplifiers were constantly being upgraded with a better part that some analog company had just built. I'd be plugging in 3-4 different chips a day to see if the noise in the system would improve. We'd have sensor-like signal generators to test the electronics. There was lot's of crosstalk between the pixels on the sensors and the lines bringing the signals in.

It was never a case of having a set system. It was all variable - day to day. So, I had to create a set of adjustable parts and circuits that I could just add on the front (or back) of an existing circuit board - in time to environmentally test it - that took about a year after it was all built and tested electrically. The bosses never had an idea of how much change was happening at the time we were finishing the G-table tests - big capacitors would fall off the PC board at 20 g's. It was fun, but the decisions could only be made by those who knew what was happening.

It was kinda like your bosses who once built a data base and had you train your low salary replacement. What choice do they have? They don't want to have a high priced programmer sit there and reboot the computer, once they had a system designed. The expensive programmer must put together a logical plan for a system and a build in a diagnostic process to quickly find what's not working. Then, the cheaper guys take over and run it and massage it as changes occur.