Here's a weird one

edited 10/21/2010 @ 9:35:59 PM in Computer / Tech Help
My lady friend has her computer in her sewing room in the basement. I built a computer for her son to have up in his room. I put a wireless card in it so he can connect to the Linksys router which is between her computer and the Comcast modem. Her daughter connects to it with her laptop also via a wireless adapter.

Everything worked fine until his hard drive (used) took a crap and I had to put in a new one. When I first built the computer, I did a clean install of XP Home and then loaded all the other software and utilities like CCleaner and AVG, Office 2000, some other stuff, then I used Ghost 9.0 to make image discs of the system. So when I put the new drive in, I just re-imaged it with the image discs so I did not have to install everything from scratch. Everything worked fine here.

I took it to her house and set it up in the kids bedroom and now it won't connect to the router. Running diagnostics I find that it's not getting an IP address via DHCP. When I run ipconfig it reports the ip address as 0.0.0.0 and the default gateway (the router) is blank, no numbers. I try release... renew.. doesn't help.

Now, if I enter the router from her computer and turn off the security (WPA), then his computer will connect with the router and get to the Internet. Once i go back in and reset the security, his drops off again.

So, at this point I know his wireless adapter is fine, it works at my house with my router. I know her router is fine, it works for her computer and the daughters lappy. It works hard wired into the router (25 foot cable thru windows from bedroom to basement) What's up with this system???

I believe it's possessed.

Comments

• Remove and reinstall the wireless card driver. That should also remove all wireless settings which means you will have to put them in again. Also, have you tired just power cycling the router to see what happens?
    "For God so loved the world..."
  • Is the router by chance a newer linksys/cisco?

They have a "feature" (forget what it's called) where you have to click the button in order to add a new wireless device. Again, can't remember what it's called off the top of my head, but I always disable that since it's just a pain in the ass.
  • Yes, you have to push the button on the far left front of the router then do the do on the computer.
  • If you press the button on the far left, it will completely reset the router and change it to some auto secure settings. (It is called secure easy setup.) Just do what I suggested and I believe it will work.

If it does not, try hard resetting the router and set it back up.
    "For God so loved the world..."
  • I've been wrestling with this for two weeks but did not list everything I have done so far, just to keep initial post short.

MoG~~ Yes, I have uninstalled the wireless card's driver and utility, then removed the card. I then reinstalled only the driver, then the card, so as to use Windows to connect rather than the bundled Zonet software. Encountered same problem, no IP from DHCP. Removed driver and card again, this time installing both driver and software, then card. Using Zonet connection utility or Windows connection, still no IP from DHCP.

I've run the connection repair feature under Windows, that fails after it does not get an address (IP) for the card.

I've checked Services to make sure the DHCP client is running.. it is. I stopped and restarted it, no joy. I've run netsh int ip reset to reset the protocol stack, no joy.

Mantra/Jay.. yes, it has the illuminated button on the left side of the router. BTDT. I've also power cycled the router, and I've "reset" the router with the hole in the back.

At this point i think it is an issue with the router since I can connect with the security turned off and I happen to have a new Netgear sitting on the shelf gathering dust so I might just try replacing her router and configuring it all anew.

I'm just stubborn and hate to take the easy solution rather than fix the problem.
  • Don't know much about wireless networking, though I have had plenty of problems with it in the past on XP...

Does WEP work? Could it be that the router is setup to use WPA-TKIP and the computer setup to use WPA-PSK or vice versa?

Also, what happens if you change the broadcast channel on the router? One time I actually had to do this in order to get a working connection.

Maybe there's a firmware update available for the router, too, though you did say it worked before.