How Cute! Buy Pet Frogs at Green Earth Store!

edited 02/04/2012 @ 7:43:25 AM in General Discussion

Comments

• I had a pet frog last Summer. He lived by the leaking water filter on the side of the house. He'd show up in the garden - prolly eating the insects. So, he provided a service. But, he never had much of a personality. It was hard knowing what he wanted or where he was headed. So, I'd just see him and let him go. I don't know if a goldfish would provide much more than the frog. They also don't show much appreciation for cleaning the aquarium. They do seem happy when they eat. But, it's all pretty abstract compared to the responsibility. If you don't do the maintenance, the fish (and prolly the frog) just end up getting flushed down the toilet. We had about 10 fish for a year. It takes time to clean with the vacuum sucker. Eventually, it just became work. The fish did grow bigger, but there's no way to take them for a walk or interact with them in any real way. My two cents.
  • Speaking of frogs, where my aunt used to live when I was little, I remember always hearing a frog, and I think it/they would always hang out in the nearby storm drainage pipes/grates or whatever you call them.
  • Frogs need water. So, if there's a supply, they'll show up. I live by a creek where we have lots of salamanders, bullfrogs, snakes, and ducks every year. The frog came up from the creek, I'm sure. The cat brings home a mouse or two every few days, the dog always goes digging in some rats nest when we walk and gets a treat. If you could grow a shrimp dinner in that YouTube gadget, I might go for it. But, Costco has enough shrimp for about $10 to last for a few days for the family. So, I'll forego shrimp farming. The aquarium gets slimy pretty fast. I just hate more work after I just did it last week.
  • We have fish, too. As the water supply flows by, the pools of standing water get very shallow. We have caught a few fish and moved them to a nearby pond. This year the rain came just about when the snow in the mountains finished melting. I have various nets to put into the pond. But, so far, I haven't built one that would fit into the nooks and crannies low enough to get under the fish. We sometimes just fill a 55 gallon tank with well water. We've found fish remains after an early water shortage a couple of times. So, they keep laying eggs up there somewhere. I need to flatten the bottom enought to get the net to be the lowest item, then pull straight up quickly. I'm not done trying to find the cure for this problem.
  • Ever see those blue-red fish that have the really long flowing fins? Now those ones are often put in super, super small "tanks", so small there's barely any room for the fish to move.

I actually had one of those fish once, I think my cousin gave it to me.
  • edited 02/24/2012 @ 8:25:57 AM
  • My brother was big time into aquariums and has a 300 gallon tank. I'd go with him to the fancy fish stores and they'd have row after row of aquariums with assorted fish in them for sale. Most of them were for "tropical" tanks rather than fresh water tanks.. much harder to maintain I guess. There were fish in there for anywhere from $100 to $300 each. I was looking at a $300 dollar one swim around and the guy axed me if I was interested and I tole him for $300 it better taste really good.

Dude was not amused.