Shredded Wheat Cereal Really Sucks.

edited 03/13/2012 @ 3:39:51 PM in General Discussion

Comments

• Try the kind that's frosted on the one side of them, those are good. Just a tad sweet... really good actually. Haven't had them in a while though (like most cereals except for the kind I eat every morning).
  • I like Special K..
  • Being the diabetic in the group, I'll just say that these cereals contain very many carbs along with wheat and corn.

My heart surgeon just told me yesterday that these foods have been engineered to feed the masses at a cheap price. So, we eat this stuff because Kellogg's and McDonald's have been advertising the foods as being healthy. They are not at all healthy.

If I listen to the American Diabetes Association's advice of the healthy food pyramid - 55% carbs, 25% protein, 20% fat, I would be dead. Back when I was diagnosed(1962), the type 1 diabetic was given 10 or 15 years to live. I didn't follow the ADA advice because my blood sugars were always way high and my doctors didn't have any advice at all. Another diabetic who was also an engineer had the same problems and was getting sicker. So he started reading the independent studies done in Europe (without the support of our Corporations) and discovered that they found that exercise lowered blood sugars and less carbs in the diet were the best way to stop gaining those access pounds. He then discovered a machine with which one could monitor his own Blood sugar levels. The machine weighed 3 lbs and cost $600 back then. Only MD doctors could buy one. His wife was an MD and got one. He then has compiled a lot of research about how to deal with diabetes.

He is now 83 and has written four books which have become the Bible for Diabetics - "The Diabetes Solution" by Richard Bernstein MD. Oh yeah, he stopped being an engineer and went to medical school in order to be able to write reports and have them accepted in the medical world. He could have had his wife do the writing. But, she's not a diabetic and he figured that his info would be better accepted if he showed that he had done all these experiments on himself.

If anyone out there needs advice about diabetes(type 1 or type2), the book is on Amazon for $18. I've been reading the latest info and he really goes against the wisdom of big Pharma and big Corporations that promote their own agenda to sell us their goods.

I can continue this rant. But, I'll stop now. I've just been released from the heart surgeon and I don't need any cardio rehab. I should just go back to the regime I've been on the last 10 years. It has kept me very healthy. If I was so healthy, why did I have a heart attack? I did smoke marijuana for 40 years. I would get the munchies and eat potato chips by the jumbo bag. I would slide off the Dr. Bernstein diet at times and that could have built the plaque in the arteries that needed the bypass.

But, no one can tell me how to fix the plaque - except Dr. Bernstein. The doctors are still doing it mechanically instead of taking Linus Pauling's approach with Vitamin C. He was considered a nut case even though he won 2 Nobel prizes - one in Physics and another in Medicine. 30 years later, the medical community is saying maybe he did have something useful to say.
  • You have to eat the all natural cereals, like Kaschi... you know, the ones that taste like cardboard.
  • I haven't eaten cereal for about 8 years. I don't miss it. If you don't eat many carbs, you also don't crave it. There are enzymes built into the wheat made by Monsanto that gives you the craving to eat more. The wheat we have today has been modified to keep you hungry and eating. Can you say OBESE? Why do you think about 50% of our youth is way overweight? It's the food they are offered with all those healthy additives.
  • Ahh gosh now they're making my side hurt.
  • There is also the competition to become the higher paid executive with the corner office and the close parking spot. How much exercise does he get? The secretary brings in the coffee and Danish. Overall since we've learned that our god is money and we must do whatever it takes to get more of it, we have developed a hierarchy of what job is more important than another. Pay determines importance. Who cares about skill set?

Some people still go to the gym after work and do some workouts. But, most people (especially kids that eat the cereal) play video games. GM is trying to get today's youth to want a car. They are getting MTV advertisers to figure out how to get the car back into the dreams of the younger generation. It just isn't that important to have the hot car any more. It's more about the electronic gadgets and faster internet. The kids just don't need to go anywhere if they have the computer.
  • Patrick, you are actually agreeing with the point of view I've put out there. Who would have thunk it?

So, I drove to the city and watched "The Hunger Games" Every one else liked it. The girls wished that there was more violence so it would be truer to the book. They spent the whole drive back talking about various inconsistencies in the movie.
    I, on the other hand, had an insulin reaction and as I was watching the ending credits, I was thinking Wow! this movie has hypnotised the audience into a haze. Maybe they'll show the intro to the next movie.

So, they walked me out to the car and tried to get me in it. I was working hard at surviving the hypnosis and my wife had to wrestle me down and sit on me for about 15 minutes. They gave me some Pepsi (I don't know if it had HCFS or sugar, but it finally got me back)
    I remember about half of the movie. I missed all the violence. Maybe it was meant to keep me from getting into that.
    It's really a drag to have this damn diabetes. I'll wait for the next movie in the series. If it's another blockbuster, I'll watch this one again on DVD or Netflix. So it goes...
  • I don't think he minded. We originally planned to take him alone because he turned 18 on April 1st. When our neighbor Canela heard that we were going, she asked to go too. We said "Sure, no problem." Then she told her friend that we were all going tomorrow and Elisha asked if she could go because she really wanted to see the movie but she has no way to go the 45 miles into the city. Lots of youth out here just don't have cars. The parents have to drive them around. It does save on paying the big insurance while they're still young.