More experience with the Townie

edited 10/25/2010 @ 4:26:14 PM in General Discussion

Comments

• You were not aware it was made in China when you purchased it? Live and learn. When it comes to small machines that wear out and are constantly subjected to extreme stresses, knowing you can get parts is a prerequisite of purchase.

You can find many excellent USA bike manufacturers on line--or go to a real quality store.

Did you Google Townie parts? I had never heard of an Electra Townie. They do not look like they are made to go off road (hence the name "Townie" I guess instead of "Rock Buster").

They are advertised as if they are made in Europe, just says imported, not made in China.
    They make a Euro model and an Amsterdam collection--they are spending lots of money to pretend they are something they are not.

If you took the money you spent on the bike plus the time and money you are spending trying to fix it you could have purchased a good bike. Live and learn.
  • edited 10/26/2010 @ 5:19:42 PM
  • So,...I recon this is gonna be a lot like my displeasure with the original nylon pedals/

After I get tired of being in a huff about my predicament, I'm going to have to go out and buy 2 custom rims? suxxors to the max!! I can't believe thay are being so retentive about supplying repair parts.

After doing a little web sleuthing, it appears that Electra is none to confident in the quality of their OEM rims, their own selves, going so far as to respond to customer inquiry with stonewallish comments suggesting that quality aftermarket upgrades are the best strategy.
  • I had the same dealio with a Raleigh "mountain bike", which was not a true hard core mountain bike which came out years later. This Seneca I have has tires which are pretty much gone, but I can't find any exact replacements.
  • A $500 bike is a cheep bike. So you asked the salesman, who had already figured you wanted the bike, if he can get replacement rims, and he said, "sure, if not the exact rim, something very similar." And you bought the bike.

I'm just sayin you can't trust a salesman to give you all the facts, you have to be prepared, like a good boy scout, before you go shopping. The Truth is Out There.

• My Seneca was around $400, and I thought that was expensive. If I pay over $500 for something with two wheels, it better have an engine.
  • edited 11/01/2010 @ 9:36:49 AM
    Post edited 11/01/2010 @ 9:36:49 AM by iggy8n
  • edited 11/10/2010 @ 3:44:02 PM
    OK, so I get an e-mail reply from Electra telling me that they buy the rims for my bike from a supplier called "Alexrims" http://www.alexrims.com/ , give me the exact part number, and wish me the best.

So, it's pretty hard to beat that, they cut themselves out as middle man, and sent me straight to their source. Kudos to Electra Bicycle Company!!
  • Sweet! That's nice of them. How's the price?
  • Dunno yet, I'm using my local bicycle shop as a procuring agent, so I e-mailed them the info last night, and am waiting on a reply.
  • edited 11/11/2010 @ 6:42:59 PM
  • If one cycle's to work every day, it's probably worth it to spend a bit more for the sturdier parts. I don't know if commuting by bike is the best choice when the snow comes around. But, I've always been impressed by Cyclo doing his thing in Canada. I'm guessing that he still has a car to take his family to the shopping mall.

• Nice video Cyclo. The cars coming in the other direction make passing a bit iffy at times, I'd guess.
    Seeing the green hill and where you were positioned would probably help to decide where to give it all that's left or where to save for the big uphill sprint.
  • Glad you liked the video Iggy8n. With this group my objective is just to keep up especially when it gets to the country roads. The key to not getting dropped in these rides is to know when to conserve energy and when to go all out. If you notice on some of the high speed runs, I was near the yellow line. This is because of the wind... I am trying to slipstream at the back of the riders in front of me and since there is a cross wind I cannot just stay right behind the back of the rider in front of me... it has to be at an angle... you learn this quickly by instinct. Just like a flying geese formation.

If I don't use this "technique", I would be expending too much effort and will soon get dropped. Note that there is a rotating pace line at the front of the group so any one rider just does a pull for a minute or so at most before falling back and letting another do the pace making.

It is tough if you get dropped by the group especially in winter as you have to go against the elements on your own.
  • Every new road since the 80s in Tucson must have a bike lane. And you can leave your $240 road destroying tires at home. In AZ helmets are optional on all two wheel vehicles. Most of us here are already brain dead so it matters not. It is 57 now and will reach 80 this aft. For the next 4 or 5 months I will look north and smile.