Laptops and batteries

edited 07/02/2012 @ 11:17:22 AM in Computer / Tech Help
Hey guys, I have had this HP DV4-1225dx laptop for 3 and a half years now. I recently upgraded the processor from the Turion RM-72 to a Turion Ultra ZM-86. Surprisingly, it made a huge difference. Not only is it noticeably faster, it runs way cooler than it did before. I have been holding off on buying a new laptop, because I know that something better will come out the month after I buy it, also this one is honestly fast enough for what I use it for (internet).

But, it has one serious problem. I can't find a battery for it that will last. I am literally on battery number 4 (It's six months old and is only holding 50% of its original charge.) The first one that came with the laptop lasted a little over a year, so I feel that spending the premium on an actual HP battery vs an ebay battery ($100 vs $20) would be a waste. Every other one I have bought from Ebay. Has anyone else had issues like this with a laptop? Is it just an HP thing? I have tried the suggestions I read on the web to prolong the life of the batteries (leave it off at 40%, don't leave it plugged in all the time, etc.) but nothing helps.

Comments

• When you first get the batteries do they hold 100% of the charge?

Also, are you charging it with the original AC adapter that came with the laptop? Geno recently had an issue with his battery not charging fully or holding 100% of the charge and it turned out that he needed to use the OEM AC adapter: http://www.cpuforums.org/discussion/279/got-a-new-to-me-laptop
  • Yes, they hold maybe not 100% of their charge but close to it. I charge it with the original AC adapter too. They just seem to hold noticeably less charge over time, it's odd. My girlfriend has had a VAIO for about 8 months now and it totally puts this one to shame as far as battery life (and everything else, for that matter) is concerned, and the battery seems to hold up well, so I can't help but wonder if it's just a problem with HP's batteries.
  • Yeah, who knows. Only other thing I can think of right now is to maybe try the battery test as shown here, and do a calibration if necessary: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00821536&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3860437
  • I found out that as far as battery's go.. bite the bullet and spend the money for a replacement at the companies website. I wasted money at Battery's R Us, and Battery Zone, or whatever these supposed oem suppliers call themselves. I finally bought what I needed from Dell and everything works as it should
  • I'm weary to spend that much money on one since the original battery lasted about the same amount of time as the ones off ebay. It's okay though, I think I'll just suffer through them and take advantage of warranties while I can.