Random freezing and reboots.

Unfortunately my dad's P4 XP machine is having issues again. You might remember me fixing the last problem it had (random reboots, a few months ago) by replacing the PSU.

Basically it's been freezing and rebooting at random. What's odd is that often times after this happens and either the system reboots itself or someone manually shuts it down and restarts it (due to a freeze), the system will boot up (I can hear the Windows login sound), however the screen remains blank. Sometimes it doesn't come back up on the first reboot, or the second one... but I did notice that if I flip the switch on the PSU off for a couple of minutes, then flip it back on and try again the screen no longer remains blank after starting the computer. (It may just be because of the few-minute delay, and not related to the turning off of the PSU.)

Anyway I ran MemTest86+ and it found no errors after two full passes. I ran a boot-time Avast virus scan, it found nothing. I just ran a full boot-time chkdsk last night, and while it made some "minor corrections" to the filesystem, it found no bad sectors.

So what's next? Do you think maybe the graphics card is at fault here? I'm pretty sure it's not the PSU again since I replaced it several months ago with a brand new one from Antec, but I guess it's possible...

Comments