So how does Microsoft do this?

I've got automatic update enabled on my win7 lappy, and the lappy has 802.11 b, g, and n and at least the n is on both the 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz bands.

Currently I have no wireless router, so my connect time with the lappy has either been through bandwidth borrowing from a neighbor, or going out to places such as starbucks, that provide wifi to customers.

The neighbor connection requires a pass word, and the retail vendors all require you to accept their terms of service before connecting you yo the net.

Lately, I've been prompted by the operating system that "updates are available" even before enabling my wifi reception, and without logging on to anyones system.

I thought it was odd that my automatic update utility could "read" the availability of updates, even on days where my neighbor's router was down, or before accepting the retail vendors TOS.

Today I was prompted to down load available updates, totaling 10 MB, even before attempting to connect to any system.

So, I clicked on "get up dates", and immediately my hard drive activity light lit up, and stayed lit, and my resource monitor showed download activity, but none of the available connections (in the "available hosts" dialog)showed any active connection.

How does microsoft connect to wifi when I can't, or haven't?

Comments