Another missing airliner

What I can't figure out is in this age of people being able to track their lost cellphones, or even their friends and spouses, why can't similar technology be used to track planes? Why can't planes stream real time location, telemetry, and communication information in addition to recording it on the black box?

Comments

• edited 12/30/2014 @ 2:50:45 AM
    I know. Apparently there's supposed to be a transponder on every plane that theoretically should allow them to find the plane fairly easily (?) but evidently they don't work perfectly, as this plane's transponder isn't producing results and the other plane's transponder apparently died.

You would think by now they'd have made it so in a worst case scenario it could run off a battery backup, be crash-proof like a black box, and also either be waterproof and/or float on water too. But maybe it just wasn't considered necessary. How often do planes go missing like this?

Maybe now they'll design a better one what with all these planes going missing in such a short period of time.
  • Whelp, they found it. :-/ Doesn't sound like they found it using any modern technology though.
  • Yep some of the bodies were spotted floating in the sea... The plane is still missing as of today. Many planes go missing... Many of them are the smaller Cessna or Piper cubs. But these passenger planes in my opinion should at least have an updated "beacon" system... Like the one I mentioned above where the airplane streams its location and telemetry information real time to a home base. The airlines are cheap though. Unless governments order them to install more up to date "beacon" systems they would not do it.
  • edited 01/05/2015 @ 4:42:47 AM
  • Like socks vanishing in the dryer
  • No, never has happened to me either.. standard urban legend