Hot dogs or hamburgers.

Comments

• genoski said:

Cheeseburgers

Likewise, I'll always go for the cheeseburger first. Although if I'm somewhere where the food is free and there's both (like a cookout, party, etc.) typically I will get one of each. smile.gif

And of course I'll put a nice amount of ketchup and mustard on both as well (and some relish on the hot dog if available). sun.gif
    IwDDeCo.jpg
  • I like both... Haven't had a hot dog in a while. Hamburgers are definitely on a higher scale over here... Usually being sold in fast food joints (McD, Harvey's, etc) or inside pubs and restaurants. Hot dogs are more blue collar... usually sold on the streets on hot dog stands. There are hot dogs too on places like Dairy Queen... Which reminds me there is one inside the Train Station... Will be grabbing one on my way home tomorrow :)
  • edited 02/11/2015 @ 2:51:51 AM
    cyclo said:

Hamburgers are definitely on a higher scale over here... Usually being sold in fast food joints (McD, Harvey's, etc) or inside pubs and restaurants. Hot dogs are more blue collar... usually sold on the streets on hot dog stands. There are hot dogs too on places like Dairy Queen

True. I didn't realize DQ sold hot dogs. I think the only thing I've ever gotten from there is a Blizzard. Any kind in particular you recommend?

The only other chain I can think of that offers hot dogs is Sonic. They actually promote them pretty often in their commercials. Last year on National Hot Dog day they had a great deal on hot dogs ($1 each) so I got a couple for the first time.
    IwDDeCo.jpg
  • edited 02/11/2015 @ 10:46:28 PM
    We have several hot dog centric fast food places. Juniors Hot Dogs, Dons Hot Dogs. (although Don's was once part of Juniors franchise and broke away. Henry's Hot Dogs. Gene & Judes, Hot Dougs, Redhot Ranch, and Superdawg...

Chicago is quite proud of their "Chicago style hot dog".. and here you never, ever put Catsup (ketchup) on a dog. In fact, there are places that even if you request it, they refuse to add it. Superdawg will give you packets so you can add it yourself
  • Oh yeah, I forgot Chicago was big on hot dogs.
    genoski said:

Chicago is quite proud of their "Chicago style hot dog".. and here you never, ever put Catsup (ketchup) on a dog. In fact, there are places that even if you request it, they refuse to add it.

Pfft. Ketchup (the superior way to spell it, by the way tongue.gif) is delicious on a hot dog. What's the big deal? Although in fairness I guess with all that other stuff they often put on it, it no longer goes with it as well? lookdown.gif
    IwDDeCo.jpg
  • I like the Strawberry Cheesequake at DQ... Too cold for ice creams and shakes though. Chicago is also known for their pizzas... The ones with the thick crust... My sister and mom are in Illinois and I drive there from time to time... 10-11 hours from Toronto.
  • Cngevpxhaqrefpber said:

Ketchup (the superior way to spell it, by the way

There is no "superior" way to spell it, as in one way being better than the other, except for ones own personal preference. Fact is ketchup is dominant in North American English.

Truth be told it was once two different things. Catsup referred to a "table sauce" which could be made out of many ingredients, which it's roots in Western Europe. Ketchup on the other hand was a tomato based sauce with it;s roots in China and Malay. These days they both refer to the same thing and Heinz is #1
  • edited 02/16/2015 @ 3:58:04 AM
    cyclo said:

I like the Strawberry Cheesequake at DQ

Actually I meant what hot dog do you recommend (if they even offer any fancy offerings).
    cyclo said:

The ones with the thick crust

Thick crust / sicilian pizza is the best. Way better than the thin crust stuff IMO.

And it's not just the fact that the crust is thicker; in general the pizza as a whole tends to be better.
    cyclo said:

My sister and mom are in Illinois and I drive there from time to time... 10-11 hours from Toronto.

You mean you don't ride your bike?! It's only about a 48 hour trip (including a ferry ride) according to Google. bigsmile.gifwink.gif
    IwDDeCo.jpg
  • genoski said:

There is no "superior" way to spell it, as in one way being better than the other, except for ones own personal preference. Fact is ketchup is dominant in North American English.

Catsup reads like "cat sup" or "cat soup". Ketchup reads like "ketch up". Therefore, "ketchup" is superior. proud.gifwink.gif
    genoski said:

Truth be told it was once two different things. Catsup referred to a "table sauce" which could be made out of many ingredients, which it's roots in Western Europe. Ketchup on the other hand was a tomato based sauce with it;s roots in China and Malay. These days they both refer to the same thing and Heinz is #1

Interesting. smile.gif
    IwDDeCo.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgot Chicago was big on hot dogs.

photo hotdog2.jpg
  • edited 02/20/2015 @ 3:04:05 AM
    Heh heh heh. bigsmile.gif

But TOMATO? Really? Everything else sounds decent but that sounds disgusting. How could you prefer a tomato to ketchup on a hot dog?!

Chicago style... more like Shitcago style. bigsmile.gifwink.gif
    IwDDeCo.jpg

But TOMATO? Really?

That's how they come... I pluck the tomato wedges off and eat them alone first.

Here's the hot dog you grew up with ...

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj2/genoski999/hotdog.jpg
  • Ha ha ha! bigsmile.gif

Yeah, I've actually done that plenty of times. Sometimes I just don't feel like spending the extra money on rolls, especially when I find a pack of dogs or sausages on sale and that's the only reason I buy them (because they're on sale; so then by buying rolls now my total is over the "impulse buy" amount and it makes it less worth it to me, if that makes sense). However, usually I do get rolls as they taste a lot better. I like potato rolls myself. No HFCS of course. sun.gif
    IwDDeCo.jpg

I just don't feel like spending the extra money on rolls

I know not what this rolls stuff you're talking about, I generally use HOT DOG BUNS.. from Rosens..

00073711386060_full.jpg
  • edited 02/26/2015 @ 3:01:05 AM
    genoski said:

I know not what this rolls stuff you're talking about, I generally use HOT DOG BUNS.. from Rosens..

00073711386060_full.jpg

I typically go for these:

A1PaYY3.jpg

(The potato kind are way better than the other kinds IMO.)

Maybe that's why I called them rolls. I dunno. You made me think about it though... I know for sure I always call hamburger buns hamburger buns, but do I usually say hot dog rolls, or hot dog buns? I think the former but I'm not positive.

And which is the "right" way to say it? The most common? Hmmm.... lookdown.gif
    IwDDeCo.jpg
  • Ahh, well that explains it, potato rolls... you in Pennsylvania? I know you've always been secret squirrel about where you live. Potato rolls are a Dutch thing, started with the Dutch in PA.

I'll have to check see if these Martin's products are around here, I doubt it though
  • edited 02/28/2015 @ 3:14:41 AM
    Yep, PA... I think I've mentioned that before. smile.gif

Interestingly enough, I looked it up and according to Walmart.com, all the Chicago Walmarts have at least some Martin's Potato stuff in stock. The hot dog ones aren't listed on the website, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

And according to Martin's website, there are dozens of places that carry their products within a 25 mile radius of Chicago: http://potatorolls.com/find-us/ gasp.gif

Apparently Good Stuff Eatery and Shake Shack in Chicago use Martin's potato buns on at least some of their burgers too:

http://www.redeyechicago.com/restaurants-bars/redeye-chicago-good-stuff-eatery-burger-20150217-story.html

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/dining/chi-is-shake-shack-coming-to-chicago-a-big-deal-20140815-story.html (cache version because the regular version needs you to sign in to even view the article)

I did a quick search of some of the major cities not on the east coast and Chicago is really the only area I found (aside from one place that had like one location I think; I forget where now) that it said has places that carry Martin's products within a 100 mile radius. lookdown.gif Not even big cities surrounding Chicago (like Detroit, etc.) have places within 100 miles that carry them.
    IwDDeCo.jpg
  • I suspect they are trucked to Chicago frozen then put into markets thawed out, I'll definitely try some soon, apart from the potato flour, they follow our old recipe when I worked for Holsum Bread.... cane sugar instead of HFCS, and milk instead of whey. Makes for better tasting products.

I found the Martins history/timeline quite interesting
  • genoski said:

I suspect they are trucked to Chicago frozen then put into markets thawed out, I'll definitely try some soon, apart from the potato flour, they follow our old recipe when I worked for Holsum Bread.... cane sugar instead of HFCS, and milk instead of whey. Makes for better tasting products.

Cool. sun.gif
    genoski said:

I found the Martins history/timeline quite interesting

Just looked through it, it is interesting. smile.gif So the Chicago-area distribution is a pretty new development then.

I'll have to see if I can find their cinnamon raisin swirl bread, which I didn't know existed. I've had it in other brands in the past (though it's been a while) and always loved it. Pepperidge Farm I think? But I do remember my one dislike about it was I think it was always a little on the dry side for my liking. (The Martins potato bread products on the other hand tend to be nice and moist.)
    IwDDeCo.jpg
  • There's a bakery / restaurant in Aurora, IL that has THE BEST cinnamon raisin toast and butter pecan coffee cake slices

harner's
  • edited 03/04/2015 @ 5:28:01 PM
    genoski said:

There's a bakery / restaurant in Aurora, IL that has THE BEST cinnamon raisin toast and butter pecan coffee cake slices

harner's

They've got a fascinating About page. giggle.gifwink.gif
    IwDDeCo.jpg

They've got a fascinating About page.

It would seem that On-Site Computer Guy needs to get off his ass and finish Harners websitehurt.gif
  • if you're talking at a bbq or gathering where people are grilling i go hot dog every time. preferably burnt. if a fast food joint i'll go w/ a burger.
  • centra28 said:

if you're talking at a bbq or gathering where people are grilling i go hot dog every time. preferably burnt. if a fast food joint i'll go w/ a burger.

Not one of each?! Come on, whatsa matta wif you? wink.gif
    IwDDeCo.jpg
  • I've become more of a burger guy myself. I just don't trust what gets put into hotdogs. gasp.gif
    Spit on your hand and stroke my cock at a medium pace.
  • edited 09/16/2015 @ 3:17:34 PM
    I hear that, though you're probably better off (famous last words) if you get the "higher quality" ones vs. the el cheapo Oscar Meyer or whatever ones. My thing with hot dogs is while I enjoy one every once in a while, I just don't like the way they taste as much as a burger.

Lately I've been enjoying the pub style angus beef burgers from Walmart. ~$10 for a pack of 4 (they're heavier than your average burger - equal in weight to the 6-packs available at the same price) and they cook easy on the stove in about 15 minutes. They're big-ass burgers so after it's cooked I cut it in half and put it on two buns.

For a while I was getting the Perdue frozen breaded chicken patties, which is a much better deal and I know white meat is better for you. But the taste just doesn't compare to a good red meat burger, at all.

Why does stuff that tastes so good and seems like it SHOULD be good for you, have to be not so good for you. yuck.gif
    IwDDeCo.jpg
  • Angus beef burgers = amazing! tongue.gif (Sometimes I'll buy the mini ones aka: sliders with the mini buns to go with them.)

If you're going to go with hot dogs, the ballpark style hot dogs are the best. tongue.gif
  • TechGuy said:

If you're going to go with hot dogs, the ballpark style hot dogs are the best. tongue.gif

I used to love the ones that were filled with cheese. smile.gif

I also used to have an Oscar Meyer wiener whistle when I was little, maybe I've still got it somewhere. Although thinking about it as I type that, and I've never thought about this until just now (I haven't thought about that whistle in forever either) that's kind of a... "risky" toy for a little kid to have?
    IwDDeCo.jpg

I used to love the ones that were filled with cheese. smile.gif

I also used to have an Oscar Meyer wiener whistle when I was little, maybe I've still got it somewhere. Although thinking about it as I type that, and I've never thought about this until just now (I haven't thought about that whistle in forever either) that's kind of a... "risky" toy for a little kid to have?

It's amazing how many toys I grew up with that kids today can't have. The next generation of kids coming up are going to be the most useless, most wimpy, most inept of all generations. They are being coddled so much that the world is going to eat them for breakfast. bigsmile.gif