Y'ever see PinguyOS?

edited 01/16/2011 @ 10:15:20 PM in Computer / Tech Help

Comments

• Looks pretty good, Geno. The download would take an overnight wait. I don't see the things I like about Ubuntu - like compliz - I guess I'll google it to find out
    what else it comes with. I bet it will have a few updates, as all the OS's have, to fix the sound problem.

We've all been waiting for a Linux OS that would really work out of the box.

I always had to fiddle with DVD playing, the ATI FGRLX video driver that will do 3D for compliz, the Flashplayer YouTube addon for Firefox, and the like, when I got the latesr Ubuntu - 10.10 at the moment.

It would be nice if I could watch Netflix streaming with Linux. That's the only reason I have to dual boot to Windows 7 along with Ubuntu. The whole family has learned how to do all the regular
    email, facebook, and NPR audio with Linux. I still don't see anything with Windows 7 Ultimate that makes it any more useful than Linux.

Maybe we can all use Linux. It would be a small step against the status quo we've had for years. It would save $150 or so on the next computer.
  • edited 01/17/2011 @ 1:08:09 PM
    Geno, does the sound on your 'puter work under a knoppix boot CD?

only version of "x" where I didn't have to fiddle with the sound to get it working. (I was using an Aureal Vortex PCI soundcard)
  • Linux is cool, and can be very fun, and that screenshot looks sexy, but when I was using Linux (used it for years), no matter what distro I used, SOMETHING was always bound to be messed up or not work properly, and I'd have to spend an hour Googling and reading forums and chatting on IRC to figure out how to fix it.

With Windows, I just turn the computer on and everything works. It's all so straightforward in comparison. And when I want to install an app I click download, next, next, run, and it's running and I can use it immediately. Plus there's no waiting for the slow repository maintainers to finally update package XYZ from version 0.1 to version 5.9, because you can get the apps -- in binary form -- directly from the developer's website.

For me, Windows is well worth the cost.
  • edited 01/17/2011 @ 6:03:39 PM
    Cng, I had a similar experience with Linux... I used Mandrake 9.0, 9.1, 9.2 and finally 10.0 as my primary desktop / development environment for around 2 years. The problem was I was spending too much time fixing/recompiling/retrofitting stuff whenever I applied a kernel patch/update. I also spent time hunting the url links for package repositories.

I finally decided my time was worth much more than free software and went back to Windows, which I get for free anyways as I usually am subscribed to MSDN by clients and/or employers.

IMHO, many open source distros and software are good but never really get to the point where they are bug free / polished. Even VLC has bugs when you try using drag drop to create playlists. This is probably because there is really no incentive to fix that "one last bug". Just the other day I read the GIMP is now currently being maintained by just 2 developers who are really in no hurry to implement new features requested by users. Also try to find a workable open source video editor that can go head to head with the entry level MovieMaker... I don't think there is one.
  • edited 01/18/2011 @ 3:27:13 PM
  • My last time with Ubuntu has been quite painless. Maybe I've got the time to fiddle around. But, I updated to Maverick and I did go to SourceForge to find the Perfect Desktop improvements. I now have it all working. Dual booting with grub works fine. I only use Windows for netflix. I feel like I'm getting farther away from Microsoft. It would sure be nice to use what's "Free at last." I'm not that much of a tightwad. I just don't like the monopoly.
  • So far, Firefox 3.6.13 is working for streaming on Windows. I think I have the same version on linux. But, I'm in Windows and don't want to wait for the reboot. I'll be back with that number when in linux.
    I guess, you do get what you pay for. The windows market is so well established and clearly the only world that requires attention to get a product polished. But, the underdog does keep the windows software from getting lazy. (AMD-Intel) If there are bugs, Microsoft puts out the patch. This is a two way street. The virus makers also make their software for the Windows world alone. So, the Linux world is left alone and is cost free. It's nice not to hafta pay for your Windows. That would certainly affect my attitude. I just hate having to pay again if I buy something new. If an alternative - like pinguy-OS - appears, I'll be right in there giving it a try.
    Linux has been improving over the years without the big buck paydays. I like the music from the bands that are still trying to make it.
  • I use Ubuntu on my netbook as well and Windows 7 and they both work fine. I have used ubuntu to recovery data off of linux and MACOS partitions that I could not access otherwise. Therefore, ubuntu does have it uses.
    "For God so loved the world..."
  • There are other differences too. The Windows defrag issue with hard drives continues as TRIM with ssds. Linux also has many flavors of file systems. Compatibility over the years hasn't been the main interest when a new approach would always sound so enticing - Reiser file system - too bad he was so antisocial. It was good to get rid of DOS. DOS remnants like setting up partitions and the naming conventions still remain - which DVD player is G? The Mac/Amiga point-and-click graphical approach was really what made Windows work. So, everyone contributed - whether it was with permission or a boosted idea.
    We're definitely in a much faster world of Gigahertz clocked computers. The operating systems just shouldn't continue to cost money, in my opinion. Browsers don't cost anything. These software ideas have been around for a long time. The residuals should have a lifespan term. But, Microsoft planned very well and still controls the traffic along with a large chunk of the money - for what? Stability? Uniformity?
    Let's continue changing to get some more improvements. Maybe Microsoft will join instead of resist Linux with open, changeable, software. Improvements require some risk. The patches for Windows 7 keep appearing. As do the upgrades for the next Ubuntu kernel.
  • edited 01/19/2011 @ 4:49:42 PM
  • The mouse cursor issue could also be a mouse/mouse driver problem. Never had this problem on Logitech wireless mice I am using. I have installed Logitech Setpoint drivers on all PCs where I use wireless Logitech mices (2 x home, 1 at work).

Regarding Linux, it has been a while but I remember another source of frustration was with ALSA drivers. Not sure if Linux now supports the later version of sound chips with 5.1/7.1 sound.
  • edited 01/20/2011 @ 11:11:56 AM
    FWIW, I don't think that the cursor problem has ever happened to me other than when using a browser window, but it's happened to me a lot while browsing, using a wide variety of mice, video cards, etc.

And it's even happened to me on low end machines using el cheapo mice and integrated video, on which the only install was box stock windows and box stock MS office, so blaming undisciplined external developers (also a noted windows problem) is an unlikely culprit here. It may ALSO come from external driver sources, but the problem comes inside the basic windows package as well.

So why doesn't Bill fix it? Thinking about this for a few days now, I vaguely recall that there is some common address, or common resource that the serial bus and the video subsystem somehow share, and dividing them would make some other legacy functionality go "blooie" .....object packager perhaps, or Ole?