Forum upgrade...

I just upgraded the forum software, so let me know if you notice anything weird... had to make a few modifications so that everything looked the same.

For some reason the text box font doesn't look the same to me, maybe it's just my imagination.

Comments

• edited 01/18/2011 @ 3:19:12 PM
    I got "bonked" (evidently) while you were doing your upgrade. Looks ok to me.

I have noticed peculiar behavior when composing lengthy posts, it seems like the text entry box has a hard time keeping the bottom line visible. Instead of spawning a scroll bar, it seems like the input box just grows in size, and then if you go back to alter a sentence that was a couple lines above, then the bottom line tends to disappear off the bottom of the box, with no scroll bar available to resume at the point you previously left off. (pressing the down arrow on the keyboard will cause the box to fix itself) but it's odd having a line you know that you typed suddenly inaccessible, your first inclination is to suppose that the line must have vanished altogether so you retype it only to find it in duplicate after you post.
    Post edited 01/18/2011 @ 3:19:12 PM by Knuckledragger
  • ALSO, fwiw, I've been having to log on multiple times per session just since this change.

I'll post one reply to one thread, then go to reply to another and the forum requires me to log on all over again to make the second reply. I've even tried hitting the "reload" button on my browser, hoping that would cause a refresh, with no luck
  • I find I'm getting BONKed by moving around from thread to thread. So, something is different. What did you fix?
  • edited 01/18/2011 @ 3:32:48 PM
  • Also, the "edited by" labeling seems to have a quick threshold now.
  • edited 01/18/2011 @ 4:11:13 PM
  • edited 01/18/2011 @ 5:06:27 PM
    Firefox 3.6.13 with Windows 7 Ultimate
  • Firefox 3.6.13, IE latest, I do not have permission to be me!
  • Now I have two comment boxes, one at the bottom and one between my post and the one above.
  • Now I have three comment windows...............
  • I think that if I had never before experienced "scroll bars", then I'd probably prefer auto-grow.

But, the certainty of knowing what a scroll bar does, and how to make it do what i want, is hard to let go of.
    It (as pertains to the problem we discuss here) boils down to a question of how one prefers to navigate, by mouse or by keyboard.

And I prefer Mouse/Joystick to keyboard....(personally that is)
  • edited 01/19/2011 @ 1:19:22 PM
    I didn't really know what each version had to offer. I got some kind of deal when I was getting my combo package of i5-750, mobo, memory, supply, case, and GPU along
    with Windows. It only cost like $50 bucks more than the Pro version. Newegg has these promos at times.

Anyway, I'm not liking what the most expensive Windows 7 has to offer. Ubuntu is better for me and cheaper.
    I've been FORCED to have windows because I use Netflix. I guess I could just give up watching anything just to leave Microsoft. They still have me in their grasp.

I know now that I cudda bought the home edition. But, I was making up a mo-better system for my wife who does Acad and my kid who likes games like Crisis.
  • I'm a firm believer in ... If it aint broke, don't fix it.
  • Yeah, but they tell you it is broke and the new version will fix those problems. So the problem becomes knowing if it is broke or could be broken into. One would assume they would not release fixes if they did not think they were necessary. I sympathize with Patrick, he has taken on a big voluntary job for us all--and we all know free stuff is always noodled to some extent.

It is a testimony to his need for this kind of social construction of reality and the importance of our communications to his happiness. And that's the way the world's turning--virtual relationships. We could all take it to the next level and SkIPE, but I get the feeling body image would not be a priority here.

Just hope the new setup will eventually pay off. And, thanks again, Pat.
  • edited 01/20/2011 @ 12:03:40 PM
    OK, I am logged in, and i know this for certain because at the top right extreme of my screen are the words "Sign Out"..

Yet, when i click on my own member name, I get an error message telling me that I don't have permission to do that.

Why?
  • Whoever had issues with getting logged out, the Vanilla dev I'm talking with says he thinks it has to do with old cookies from 2.0.11... try clearing all of your cookies, or at least all from this domain, and then close and reopen your browser and see how that goes.
  • Nothing is free.