What were your favorite magazine pubs?

edited 10/11/2010 @ 5:56:30 AM in General Discussion
"For God so loved the world..."

Comments

• CPU was my favorite magazine for years. I canceled in ~2007 though; it just wasn't interesting anymore. Part of it maybe had to do with my tastes changing; part of it had to do with the quality of the magazine too, I think.

I used to subscribe to eWeek. There was some neat stuff in there, and since it was a weekly (free) publication, all the info and news was usually pretty up to date.

I also subscribed to ComputerWorld for a bit, but I didn't like that as much as eWeek.
  • I still buy CPU from time to time along with Maximum PC. I mostly read these at night at bedtime... I find that I fall asleep faster when/as I am reading something. No more mag subscriptions for me though.
  • I forgot to answer MoGs original question... my favorite magazine (I read a lot of them before the advent of the Internet) were Byte, Computer Shopper (the big one), the original PC Mag (was quite thick back in the days), Windows, PC World; and in stereos and hi-fi: Audio, Stereo Review, Stereophile, What HiFi (British Mag). I also read a lot of cycling and car mags.

At the time PCs came with Intel 8088, 286, 386 CPUs and 200 MB hard drives were considered huge. PCs were mostly for hobbyists and monitors had VGA resolution and were either monochrome or RGB.
  • Of all the various rag subs I've kept, my favorite always has been and continues to be Rolling Stone.

Throughout the years they've always been good at investigative reporting plus the music and concert reviews have always interested me.
  • Oh yeah Rolling Stones... There was also an obscure mag, CD Review I think, that I really liked reading. They had top 10, 50, to 100 album lists for genres such as Rock, Jazz, Blues, etc. It was through that mag that I was introduced to great Jazz, Blues albums and musicians.

Before the internet era, music was mostly Album oriented... you could actually listen to an entire album (LP or CD) from start to finish and they appear to tell a story... such as albums by the Beatles, Black Sabbath, The Rolling Stones, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, etc.

I can't edit my post above but 200 MB HDDs did not exist yet in the era of 386 CPUs... HDDs went only up to 60 MB if I recall right.
  • "For God so loved the world..."
  • edited 10/11/2010 @ 11:55:02 AM
  • Favorite Mags? Wow, this could take some time. In the late 60's I subscribed to Mad, Car Model Magazine, and Model Railroader. Followed Car Model Mag until it went belly up after a few years. Kids just weren't into building models once the whole drug craze started. Thru the 70's my interests went to real cars and bikes and I had subscriptions to Road & Track, Car and Driver, and Motorcyclist. The 80's was a time of no subscription.. to much time goofin off to be bothered with reading mags. The 90's started all the computer rags, which I mostly bought over the counter. I only subscribed to CPU and Maximum PC. Now I have none.
  • edited 10/24/2010 @ 5:58:22 PM
    I really used to enjoy Hot Rod magazine (had a script back in '67-'70)
    Smithsonian is still a favorite of mine, as is Harper's and The Atlantic

Club International had a firm place in my youth

The Original "boot' was one of the best ever
    Dr Dobb's journal was thought provoking
    I also had a script to OS/2 Magazine
    CPU magazine was good for several years, til they gothooked on modder madness

Perhaps one of the most enjoyable aspects of the 11 years I lived in LA was that the Los Angeles office of advertising firm Saatchi & Saatchi was a tenant in an office building my employer owned. And twice a month their dumpster was absolutely LOADED with current issues of an ungodly huge array of magazines, hundreds and hundreds of various different mags that they were sent complimentary copies of because they did ad work for some major sponsors that would run ads in their mags.
    Post edited 10/24/2010 @ 5:58:22 PM by Knuckledragger
  • Ha ha, this thread is on page #1 on Google for the search term "favorite magazine computer eweek".