Egypt is burning.

edited 01/28/2011 @ 5:35:43 PM in General Discussion

Comments

• Crazy stuff. I say good for them (the non-violent demonstrators), they've been oppressed for far too long.

Pretty scary that they shut down the internet over there though huh?
  • edited 01/29/2011 @ 12:57:31 PM
    When you have a situation where a big percentage of the country's youth are unemployed/idle you will have riots sooner or later. These youth have nothing to lose, no mortgages to pay, no family to feed, so they can easily make the decision to join the protest. This scenario is rampant in the whole middle east including Iran... remember the student protests in Iran about 2 years ago which were violently repressed?

This is the reason you want young men to find jobs... you offer them the dream of getting a car, a house, starting a family. Once they are hooked in to this dream then they have a lot to loose.

It also doesn't help that most of the Middle East (including Iran) are run by dictators... either military or religious. Others like those in the Gulf area are run by monarchies which have been in power for perhaps decades if not centuries.

• Significant and not recieving near enough attention at this stage of the game, isn't Mubarek's gov't like the ONLY arab nation to have recognized Israel's right to exist?
  • So far I have seen 4 videos of protesters being run down by government vehicles in Egypt, I haven't seen this systematic brutalization of protesters in a democracy (so far). When dictators leave no room for the people to stage legitimate protests to legitimate grievances, sooner or later these folks will have no other recourse except extremism/militancy.
  • edited 02/12/2011 @ 6:30:01 AM
    There was Kent State. The hippies at Berkeley at Haight-Ashbury. Lot's of broken bones.
    This isn't that unheard of.
    How about Iraq and Afghanistan? They are people too.
    Does it really matter what the location is?
    The tank stare-down in Tien-Anmen Square.
    It's happening everyday.
  • edited 02/12/2011 @ 1:20:25 PM
  • The governments are also made up of people. Some are people who don't want the corrupt system to just run with
    the money they can steal. They sometimes blow the whistle. The other people (those who are corrupt)
    find the way to clean the system to keep the do-gooders out of the picture.
    Who wants a system of corruption that is corrupted with honesty?

Mubarek was pretty good at keeping the corruption running smoothly. Now, everyone will have to campaign again.
    What a drag! - just when things were getting comfortable. Maybe this government job isn't that secure as promised ...
  • But even if you reboot, the OS will be still have a BIOS and use the same computer hardware.

I'm not sure a government employee can survive on his basic salary. He would have to use his information about the system for purchasing stock or
    busting a bunch of bad guys to get promoted. It's a fine line between being honest and survival. It seems that
    corruption is a normal part of the system. It is ubiquitous in most governments because they control big money.
    The same goes for the stock market employees and the overseeing accountant firms. When there is money involved, there is insider trading
    and cooking the books. It just comes with the territory. How does a do-gooder stay alive in a world like that?

• edited 02/13/2011 @ 6:25:48 AM
  • edited 02/14/2011 @ 5:24:20 AM
    I grew up in Chicago where the garbage collector was my neighbor. (3 doors down) He'd come by and talk about if he didn't deliver
    his precinct, he'd lose his job and our garbage wouldn't be picked up. It was quite a simplistic appeal. But, I know he meant it.
    The garbage trucks would also plow the snow off the streets. He provided a service. So, Major Daly's machine worked well on the South Side
    of Chicago while I was there.

Since Ron Paul seems to be getting endorsements from the Tea Party, I wonder if the rest of the GOP will support him. He doesn't sound like
    the guy making the back room deals. But, Obama didn't sound that way either. I wonder if when you do get voted in, you have to make
    the adjustments or you don't get the grease to the gears. I know Ron Paul wants to make a lot of sweeping changes. But, I think Obama had similar plans.
    I don't think it really matters what party or what location it's in. To make this government operate, there is the system in place.
    Every election we get our hopes up. It seems that, in the end, getting the power corrupts anyway.
  • edited 02/15/2011 @ 5:37:13 PM
  • It certainly puts out another view about this whole thing. I guess it was a few people in the midst of a celebration.
    But, this is just plain criminal - in any culture. When you act in such a barbaric way, you should expect to
    receive a similar barbaric penalty. I guess there's only the military to take these guys away. I don't think they'll be
    getting a fair trail or any of the democratic stuff they are rioting about.

It makes me angry that anyone can get away with treating someone this way - even for a minute.