Intel "Sandy Bridge" chipset issue

Comments

• I'm glad I waited before building a video editing rig for my brother. I was not comfortable with the issues people keep getting with the 1st batch of 1155 motherboards... no matter which board manufacturer. Today Intel is confirming that there is a bug in the chipset. It would probably have been easier for those early adopters who already took the plunge if the CPU was defective instead of the chipset soldered on the motherboard. Basically you have to chuck the whole board and deal with outsourced tech support from ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc., instead of a company like Intel.

The other problem now is how do you know if the 1155 board you are intending to buy 2, 3, or more weeks down the road is defect free? Will all these boards be pulled out of the retail channel? I will probably go with the tried and proven as opposed to risking getting a defective board.
  • Latest on this one is that most online retailers have pulled all 1155 series motherboards and all Sandybridge CPUs off the shelf.
  • edited 02/01/2011 @ 8:16:16 AM
  • This might give AMD a chance to sell some Bulldozers and provide some competition.
    Anyone know when the Bulldozer CPU will be coming out?
  • edited 02/02/2011 @ 4:15:47 PM
    I don't have the chip anymore, I took up Intel's offer to get a bug free replacement CPU. The chip was a Pentium P90 in a Dell Dimension desktop. Dell and Gateway were the top dog mail order companies at that time (early 90's) and I wasn't into building PCs yet.
  • edited 05/17/2011 @ 4:40:03 PM
    So we all got pretty tired of having to restart the old Pentium 4 computer at least 3 times to get the USB system to light up the mouse light and keep it on for a while.
    Apparently, Sandy Bridge is still out in front while we all await the AMD Bulldozer to show up. I'm not gonna wait anymore. I bought an i5-2500 system from Newegg for $589.
    It's been shipped this afternoon. It doesn't include a video card. So, well see how much money is left for something like a 460GTX. There are quite a few contenders in this price
    range. Ruth is starting to lose her patience with the old P4. She won't need the video card right away. We can install the 800GTO card from the P4 for the time being.
    No Grand Theft Auto for a while. But, she'll be able to do her shopping and email without having to suffer any longer.
    I'll drop a note out here to let the peanut gallery know how it goes.
    Post edited 05/17/2011 @ 4:40:03 PM by iggy8n
  • I hope you got the H67 chipset motherboard, in which case you would not need a discrete video card.. just use the graphics processor included in the i5 2500K.
  • MSI P67A-G45(B3) - which is already outdated by the new Z68 motherboards. I'm saving for a 460GTX. I'm sure Bulldozer will outdate this whole thread.
  • I just wonder how many motherboard variations does Intel need to come out with... current (non-obsolete) generation has X58, H67, P67, Z68. P67 BIOSes/EFIs are just starting to get stable (on B3 revision hardware) and they are now being superseded by Z68. If I were to build a PC in the near future, I wouldn't touch Z68 for another 2 to 3 months at least... I also feel it is too complicated with SSD caching and hybrid/switchable GPU. It will take time for mobo manufacturers (and intel) to iron out the inevitable kinks on those.

I don't see the point in over complicating things. I am using a P55 and the key to performance with these appear to be the use of multiple hard drives... One for the OS and Apps, another for Data, and for video editing, another for Scratch files. Also the less filled the OS/App drive is (say 20% of max capacity) the faster it is.
  • I like the OS that MSI includes with the motherboard. It allows one to run Firefox and check out the web, it lets one watch DVDs and movies on Hulu - prolly Netflix - I didn't check. It bookmarks all the
    places you've had before changing to the new computer. I'm really wondering about why Microsoft Windows 7? I can do most stuff with Ubuntu. I'll be doing the VMware solution and use Windows 7 if I can figure out if they will get me for not buying another version. (for $150 - I guess I could get the Home Premium for $90) I'm sure they feel like cops giving me a ticket for a DUI. I'm getting very close to not needing Windows 7 at all. My kid still plays games and buys them from Steam. The VMware way ought to work.
  • I am starting to feel like the stray dog here on this forums. I use nothing but AMD except for the netbook I have. Intel is good but I just prefer to stick with AMD.

I also picked up a laptop with an AMD Quadcore processor and Discrete graphics for work. I have a Phenom II 945 3.0GHz Quadcore in the desktop and a Phenom II P960 1.8Ghz Quadcore in the laptop.

HD4890 and HD4870 in the desktop with a HD6370 with 512MB of Videoram in the laptop. Glad you were able to purchase what you wanted iggy.
    "For God so loved the world..."