Public Services Careers Program

edited 02/04/2011 @ 10:42:38 AM in General Discussion

Comments

• I can recall over the years when forced to endure an especially inept beneficiary of this program, thinking thoughts such as "man, if that person wasn't black, they'd never be able to keep that job"...then feeling guilty for feeling that way. Little did I know, just how right I was.

Policy stemming from programs such as this is what I'm referencing when I cite "kneejerk liberal reform"
  • I think part of that program was the dual levels of testing for certain jobs, like the post office, fire dept, or the police force. Passing grades varied by race, say 85% for whites and 65% for non whites.
  • Probably a BIG part of it.

I guess that the supporting rationale is, that it's better to have the beneficiary out actually performing real work, instead of just waiting at home for a check.

On the down side, it's pretty obvious that some of them were angry, because they missed being able to just hang out at the house waiting on the check. And those of us unlucky enough to have to depend upon their 'expertise' to perform menial chores that we had no choice in the matter (getting our license renewed, for example) were just left to suffer.
  • edited 02/06/2011 @ 9:31:05 AM