new kitty

edited 02/13/2011 @ 6:44:59 AM in General Discussion
So, we've got a new calico tortoise shell kitten. She's about 4-5 months old from the size - quite small and dinky. Very clean, not feral, very friendly. She just appeared at the house and ran into our bigger (2 year old) cat, who didn't welcome her very curteously. He basically tried to disembowel her. So, we put her into a trailer, that has a screen door, to keep them separated.
I just don't know how to get these cats together without them fighting. I need to understand what the fears are and how to make them stop worrying about it all. I've fed them at the same time on either side of the front door. I'm trying to tie in feeding both cats as a good time not a fighting time.
Yesterday, I had a visit from a friend and we were leaning on a tractor as both cats were in the vicinity. They ended up a few feet from each other on the tractor. They were also on the stairs for a while making growling noises. So, my friend and I walked over there and showed my older cat (Figaro) that I want the new cat to be welcome here. It's not all about what Figaro wants. Hoagy, the dog, seems to be OK with the cats. He sniffs the new one and kinda intimidates her by his size - like 10 times her size. But, the kitty doesn't seem to worry about the dog. It's a strange situation and I'm googling and getting advice. But, I need a cat whisperer to help me resolve this.
I've made an appointment with the vet to get her spayed and get her shots at the same time that I had an appointment for Figaro - this Tuesday. We'll put Figaro in his car carrier and just hold the new one while in the car. If we can get them to settle down a bit, it would make this tension a bit more bearable.
Why can't we all just get along?

Comments

• As soon as I wrote this thread, I got a phone call from my new next door neighbor. He apparently has had Scat living there for about 3 months. Scat
    lives outside most of the time and is used to the chainsaw noise and the big bonfires in the evening.

So, this problem has been solved. I've met our new neighbors and can let Figaro out without needing to be watching him.

The neighbor has gone to Volkswagen Mechanic School. I've got a 1951 8N Ford tractor that I might barter tune-up vs tractor time.
  • edited 02/13/2011 @ 5:19:27 PM
  • It was a relief to be able to talk to my cat without watching out for the other one. I heard some screeching last night around midnight.
    I think the other cat (named Scat) came over for some more tuna. This is all hopefully over. The neighbor doesn't lock up the cat when he leaves.
    He isn't that worried about what happens to her. There are many approaches to owning cats. His seems to be 'come what may.' I guess I have to respect
    his wishes. He mentioned that he had another one that disappeared as soon as it was here. He and his brother have bought this place
    to fix up and turn over. I think they aren't that tuned into the needs of a cat. Maybe I'm too tuned in. We'll see ...
  • Yup, Figaro's the same cat. We talked to the neighbor and asked to have him keep the cat away. He said he's not always there and he just doesn't seem
    to be concerned about the cat. I know he does lock Scat in the garage at times. I guess we'll just have to let the cats work out the territory boundaries.
    I can't tell the neighbor what to do. If he doesn't care, I don't have much to say. Getting Scat spayed is a lot more important. If they scratch each
    other, it's not that big a deal.
  • Cats and raccoons get into it quite frequently
  • We certainly have raccoon scat on the road. I've never seen a raccoon in all the time I've been walking around here. I always have the dog with me. That's prolly why.
  • edited 02/22/2011 @ 6:31:31 AM

The coyotes don't have much to eat since the trailers started showing up in the forest. They sure have some interesting howls to tell the stupid pet dog
    "I'm in heat, come visit." Then, the pet dog meets the coyote family. They are forced to become clever like that - and they do score if her howl is
    enticing enough. It reminds me of the mythology stories about the Sirens.

Post edited 02/22/2011 @ 6:31:31 AM by iggy8n