Windows XP theme keeps partially changing.

I recently reinstalled XP on an old computer this summer and it seems like ever since I reinstalled it, the theme keeps automatically changing. But only partially.

I've got it set to classic, and always have because I think Luna looks terrible, but every few reboots, the theme partially changes back to Luna. When this happens, Display Properties -> Theme shows the theme being "Windows Classic", but under the Appearance tab, the "Windows and Buttons" style is set to "Windows XP Style" instead of "Windows Classic Style".

When I change it back to the classic style, it stays like that for a bit, but after a few shutdowns and startups the blue XP windows and buttons style is back.

Any idea why this might be happening?

Comments

• Registry corruption
  • I think that it is also possible that the user profile may be corrupted. I would first try removing and reinstalling the video driver.

If that does not help, try a new windows user account and see if that helps. I have seen that problem before and usually one of those 2 things fixes it. (Oh, and do not forget to do a chkdsk c: /r on startup.)
    "For God so loved the world..."
  • I wiped the video driver and reinstalled it, we'll see what happens!
  • Ok, so what do you recommend I do then?
  • You were right, it happened again, a few times already.
  • The easiest solution is to use another program to set your theme, there's quite a few out there.

Also, you could do a little investigating to figger out what was happening right before the shutdown, since the themes change when you boot up the computer, the "change" has to be orchestrated by something during the shutdown process. Like perhaps it's happening after Windows does an automatic update.
  • edited 11/23/2010 @ 10:47:34 AM
    First thing you want to do is create a new user account and try that. In my opinion, it sounds like user account corruption since the video driver did not help.

I know you said you did not want to try another account. However, if you want it fixed, that is one of the steps that will need to be taken. (Your choice though since it is your computer.)
    "For God so loved the world..."