IIHS's new crash test.

Comments

• I think it better to just not crash
  • So do I, but until that's possible (computers will need to play a larger role in the driving of a vehicle, or at least taking over when necessary to avoid a crash) these crash tests and the design improvements that they encourage will almost undoubtedly save many lives.

Computers in cars are already helping prevent crashes from happening in the first place; if all cars on the road had ESC (all news cars do now) then an estimated 1/3 of all fatalities could be prevented, as ESC prevents many crashes from happening in the first place.
  • I think a better way of preventing crashes is education. People need to be taught to concentrate more on their driving and less on ancillary tasks. One way to do this is to make the process of obtaining a license more difficult. These days you pass a multiple guess test and drive around for 15 minutes without hitting anything and they give you a license.
  • The two need to go hand in hand, because without ESC, education can only take you so far. ESC helps make the education that much more worthwhile.

Education can still only take you so far though, which is why I'm glad they're still coming out with these new crash tests. One reason is alcohol still contributes to a LOT of fatal crashes, and education goes out the window when alcohol is involved. Another is humans aren't computers and therefore have a mind of their own (even when not under the influence), and therefore are prone to making mistakes and errors in judgement, and/or just plain forgetting their education altogether.

Changing test methods and also retesting every couple of years might be beneficial, to help reinforce the skills learned (assuming they're being taught good skills in the first place).