Moving

edited 10/17/2013 @ 10:35:04 AM in General Discussion
Been busy packing, the reason for my absence. Too much land, too much junk, too much to do for an old man. Moving back to my roots in Chicago.

Comments

• edited 10/17/2013 @ 10:55:53 AM
    Wow, no kidding! gasp.gif You've been at your current location for some time now haven't you -- at least 10 years I think (for as long as we've known each other), right?

Anyway good for you, and best of luck. smile.gif Just please don't move into/near the ghetto Geno, for your sake and ours. halo.gifwink.gif
    IwDDeCo.jpg
  • genoski said:

Been busy packing, the reason for my absence. Too much land, too much junk, too much to do for an old man. Moving back to my roots in Chicago.

Yeah I know whatcha mean about having too much land.... wink.gif Wait a second...

Once you sell your land you do realize an Arab billionaire is going to bulldoze everything and build apartment buildings on it don't you? Someday in the next five years there will be 250 hard working (at Wal-Mart), food stamp collecting Americans living in that same space.

Makes you feel all warm and tingly inside doesn't it? bigsmile.gif
    Spit on your hand and stroke my cock at a medium pace.
  • genoski said:

Moving back to my roots in Chicago.

Beware, you'll probably find that your roots have changed while you were away. (In reality they haven't changed so much as your perceptive skills have become keener)
    fX7ExU4.png
  • edited 10/19/2013 @ 12:26:21 PM
    I've got a proposition for you Geno. I'll come out and help you maintain your land and junk and stuff. It'd be just like on Pawn Stars: you'd be The Old Man, and I'd be Chumlee. We could maybe even have our very own reality show!

... that is as long as the price you pay me is right, bitch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QJiAK-s5a0

bigsmile.gif
    IwDDeCo.jpg
  • Hey guys check it out, for kicks I was just browsing around Chicago using Google Maps street view, and look what I found -- this must be Geno's new place!

LjCBWt3.jpg

Looks like he's all moved in!
    IwDDeCo.jpg
  • edited 11/13/2013 @ 11:37:22 AM
    LOL. bigsmile.gif

How is Geno going to fit a farm full of accumulated possessions in a typical Chicago residence?

He could probably furnish all the homes on his street and fill each of his neighbour's garages.

Happy Gilmore is another one of those cult classic movies. Awesome scene. halo.gif
  • Wow! Geno's "roots" must be pre-internet. Not a word...hope all is well.
    fX7ExU4.png
  • edited 11/16/2013 @ 12:52:24 PM
    TechGuy said:

How is Geno going to fit a farm full of accumulated possessions in a typical Chicago residence?

That's what I was wondering, particularly with the cars.
    TechGuy said:

He could probably furnish all the homes on his street and fill each of his neighbour's garages.

Knowing Geno, that's probably exactly what he's going to do (in fact I'll bet this is what's been keeping him so busy): out of the kindness of his heart he'll donate his cars and other possessions that won't fit in the new place to the less fortunate brothas and sistahs that live in his hood. bigsmile.gif
    IwDDeCo.jpg
  • TechGuy said:

Happy Gilmore is another one of those cult classic movies. Awesome scene. halo.gif

I meant to say the other day that I've never seen the movie but it's always been on my bucket list. Then last night it happened to be on and I was in the mood to watch a movie (usually I'm not, so rarely do I ever watch them) so I watched it. Good movie. sun.gif I liked Ben Stiller's performance especially -- I think his scenes and the Bob Barker fight scene were the best in the movie. giggle.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VqHR2m_s6s

I looked up the lady who played the reporter. Did you know she's the mom on that Modern Family show? I didn't recognize her, although I've never really seen the show, just commercials for it.
    IwDDeCo.jpg
  • TechGuy said:

Going... Going... Gone... Everything is sold or donated to Amvets/Goodwill/ Thrift stores... One motorcycle saved and a friend is storing it at his place of business. Don't know why I kept it, can't ride it. Cars all gone, even sold my Lincoln Town Car.. however I replaced it with yet another Towncar.

I'm in Chicago about a mile away from Midway airport. This is the house I bought for my Mother in 1985. She passed away in '98 and my brother has been living here since then. When my Mom was alive my brother lived in the finished basement, like a garden apartment. I moved into that. My brother is upstairs. ...

I can't live alone.. mostly because of health reasons. I might go into that more later.
  • He lives! wink.gif Welcome back Geno! sun.gif

I can't believe you gave up JUST before you got the last post in all of the threads though. Only five more threads and you would've been only the second person (on these boards at least) to accomplish such an awesome feat. wink.gif
    IwDDeCo.jpg
  • edited 01/05/2014 @ 7:47:49 PM
    genoski said:

Cars all gone, even sold my Lincoln Town Car.. however I replaced it with yet another Towncar.

So you sold the one (with the cool technologically-advanced-for-its-time digital instrument panel) you bought after your "original" Town Car (Old Abe) needed too much work?
    genoski said:

I'm in Chicago about a mile away from Midway airport. This is the house I bought for my Mother in 1985. She passed away in '98 and my brother has been living here since then. When my Mom was alive my brother lived in the finished basement, like a garden apartment. I moved into that. My brother is upstairs. ...

Hey, that's cool. sun.gif
    genoski said:

I can't live alone.. mostly because of health reasons. I might go into that more later.

Sorry to hear that. But I'm glad you were able to find a place that works for you, especially one that you're familiar with and that also houses a close family member. smile.gif

(This is assuming, of course, that you and your brother aren't each others' worst enemies. giggle.gifwink.gif)
    IwDDeCo.jpg
  • Cngevpxhaqrefpber said:

So you sold the one (with the cool technologically-advanced-for-its-time digital instrument panel) you bought after your "original" Town Car (Old Abe) needed too much work?

See.. the mind is going. No, that's the one I have now.
    Cngevpxhaqrefpber said:

This is assuming, of course, that you and your brother aren't each others' worst enemies.

We are, then we're not, then we are.. it's a brother thing. Sometimes you carry him (he aint heavy, he's my brother), sometimes you toss him off a cliff
  • genoski said:

See.. the mind is going. No, that's the one I have now.

It's from all that pollution in Chicago. wink.gif

I kinda figured, but I wasn't positive.
    genoski said:

We are, then we're not, then we are.. it's a brother thing. Sometimes you carry him (he aint heavy, he's my brother), sometimes you toss him off a cliff

giggle.gif
    IwDDeCo.jpg
  • edited 01/08/2014 @ 8:32:10 AM
    Cngevpxhaqrefpber said:

I kinda figured, but I wasn't positive.

Car has a weird issue I can't figure out. When it gets really cold, like below 10°, the car won't start. When you turn the keys there's absolutely nothing.. no errr errr err, no clicking, no sound at all, however, the battery is charged and the lights work, the instrument panel is working, the compressor kicks on inflating the shocks, but turn the key and nada.. zip.. zero.

Try it a second time, same thing Wait a minute.. try it again, nothing

Wait another minute or two, turn the key and it starts. Or not.

Took it to my car guy, he replaced pulleys and a belt, and I ask him WTF that that have to do with starting? He says nothing but he noticed they were bad. I says I brought it in because of the starting issue. He says.. well, I dunno it's starting now. Well yeah Julio, it's 35° out fercryeye.

Any-who, come Christmas Eve, going to a friend house, 5° out, it don't start. Had to call for a ride. Now with this below zero crap the last few days, I have not even ventured a try... it'll sit until tomorrow when it supposed to be near 30°
  • edited 01/08/2014 @ 3:01:36 PM
    genoski said:

Going... Going... Gone... Everything is sold or donated to Amvets/Goodwill/ Thrift stores... One motorcycle saved and a friend is storing it at his place of business. Don't know why I kept it, can't ride it. Cars all gone, even sold my Lincoln Town Car.. however I replaced it with yet another Towncar.

I've landed at Midway airport many times! (With my virtual Cessna in Flight Simulator of course.) I've probably crashed into your virtual house with my virtual plane several times! bigsmile.gif

Glad to hear everything has worked out well for ya. One of my elderly neighbours fell and broke her hip. She doesn't live alone, but imagine if she did! gasp.gif
  • TechGuy said:

She doesn't live alone, but imagine if she did!

I guess my other option was one of them "Life Alert" garage door openers you wear around your neck what has a push button... "Help... I've fallen and I can't get up"

OnStar for geriatrics
  • genoski said:

Car has a weird issue I can't figure out. When it gets really cold, like below 10°, the car won't start. When you turn the keys there's absolutely nothing.. no errr errr err, no clicking, no sound at all, however, the battery is charged and the lights work, the instrument panel is working, the compressor kicks on inflating the shocks, but turn the key and nada.. zip.. zero.

Try it a second time, same thing Wait a minute.. try it again, nothing

Wait another minute or two, turn the key and it starts. Or not.

Took it to my car guy, he replaced pulleys and a belt, and I ask him WTF that that have to do with starting? He says nothing but he noticed they were bad. I says I brought it in because of the starting issue. He says.. well, I dunno it's starting now. Well yeah Julio, it's 35° out fercryeye.

Any-who, come Christmas Eve, going to a friend house, 5° out, it don't start. Had to call for a ride. Now with this below zero crap the last few days, I have not even ventured a try... it'll sit until tomorrow when it supposed to be near 30°

I don't know jack about cars, but I have heard that a lot of batteries don't do well in extreme cold. Maybe the battery is able to provide enough power for the lights and compressor, but not enough for the starter which I would imagine uses a whole lot more?

You could probably test this fairly easily by removing the battery next time the car doesn't start, taking it inside for like half an hour maybe, then trying again. (I'm not sure what kind of negative effect such a drastic temperature change would have on the battery though.)
    IwDDeCo.jpg
  • genoski said:

I guess my other option was one of them "Life Alert" garage door openers you wear around your neck what has a push button... "Help... I've fallen and I can't get up"

OnStar for geriatrics

giggle.gifMTpuqXM.gif

I love the one lady in one of the commercials who says, "I would give up beer, soda, bread, and other things, but I would not give up Life Alert." bigsmile.gif

You've gotta love American product infomercials. American culture at its finest. sun.gif
    IwDDeCo.jpg

Maybe the battery is able to provide enough power for the lights and compressor, but not enough for the starter which I would imagine uses a whole lot more?

Nah, you missed that if I wait long enough, it will eventually start normally after several tries. I think the problem is the starter solenoid. It's a little gear that's on the side of the starter and it pops out the bendix which engages the starter gear with the flywheel. I think what's happening in my case is the solenoid is bad or has moisture in it so when it's really cold the bendix is frozen. Now after multiple attempts to start the car, the electricity to the solenoid finally heats up the bendix enough so it pops out and everything works fine.

I'm just waiting for better weather to run it in to the shop to get the solenoid replaced.

MTpuqXM.gif

Thats gunna leave a mark
  • genoski said:

Nah, you missed that if I wait long enough, it will eventually start normally after several tries. I think the problem is the starter solenoid. It's a little gear that's on the side of the starter and it pops out the bendix which engages the starter gear with the flywheel. I think what's happening in my case is the solenoid is bad or has moisture in it so when it's really cold the bendix is frozen. Now after multiple attempts to start the car, the electricity to the solenoid finally heats up the bendix enough so it pops out and everything works fine.

I'm just waiting for better weather to run it in to the shop to get the solenoid replaced.

I actually did miss that the first time (or forgot), but before I submitted my post I read your post again and caught it that time/remembered it. I was about to scrap the suggestion, but then I thought it could still potentially be the case: maybe the electronics being on in your car, or the first couple of attempted starts, warmed up the battery enough or woke it up? So then I submitted it. lookdown.gif

But, your theory is probably more likely. giggle.gif
    IwDDeCo.jpg
  • genoski said:

the compressor kicks on inflating the shocks

Made me think of this:

6ftRrtS.jpg

You should really consider adding hydraulics to your ride. How awesome would that be? sun.gif (That and a train horn.)
    IwDDeCo.jpg
  • That's kinda illegal
  • genoski said:

If it is the solenoid, beating on it with a hammer should "re-enable" it instantly. If that don't work, do you have a theft proof key system? (chip on the key)

Your problem sounds a lot like my friends, and a new key fixed the problem.
    fX7ExU4.png
  • genoski said:

That's kinda illegal

At the very least, it's kinda mean. And I would be scared of giving someone a heart attack or having it cause them to do something that makes them get hurt. gasp.gif

That said, I can't help but laugh at some of the peoples' reactions. bigsmile.gif And there are a lot of idiot drivers out there doing a lot of idiot things that deserve that level of noise over the relatively tame noise that comes out of your typical car horn. giggle.gif
    IwDDeCo.jpg

And there are a lot of idiot drivers out there doing a lot of idiot things

I always get pissed at the Youtube video's of mooks driving around in a car shooting paint ball guns at pedestrians
  • TheEnlightenedWon said:

If that don't work, do you have a theft proof key system? (chip on the key)

No, regular key here. I think those started with the 95's. Dunno if a tap with a hammer would fix my issue when it happens. I'm not about to go crawling under the car hammer in hand looking for the starter. I'm more the take it in and tell Julio or Raul to fix it and shell out the beans.

Back in my salad days I worked on cars.. now I hate to get my hands greasy