Should we permanently observe Daylight Savings Time?

Comments

• When I worked at that large Mall out in California, we of course had a large automation system that controlled air conditioning, interior lighting, and parking lot lighting, a total of 96 programmable master schedules to control it all (I was sysadmin) even so I would have to manually change the system clock for both the spring forward and the fall back when the time came.

But, this was a really large mall, expansive parking areas, and we had lit monument signs at all the perimeter drive entrances from the surrounding streets, and a plethora of "out" buildings that may have had only canopy lighting or marquee lighting, and there just was not enough power use nor attendant potential savings to justify digging a trench all the way across the parking lot just to put in a conduit to connect to the main automation system, so all these peripheral facilities had stand alone motor driven 7 day time clocks to control their power use. And it was my job to go around to all these fricken clocks (65 in all) and set them accordingly. I used to really hate the time change.

When I moved back to Indiana ....it was one of only 2 or 3 states that did not observe daylight savings time, and it was so cool not having to go through the stupidity of resetting all my clocks, twice per year.

But, the stupid fuks gave that up, and adopted savings time to be more in step with the rest of the country. I thought this was monumentally stupid in an "everyone else is doin' it" sort of way.
  • edited 11/10/2013 @ 9:03:33 AM
    Since we fell back, I've been waking up around an hour earlier despite not having changed the time I go to bed (although I never go to bed at a set time)... I think this usually happens to me whenever we have a time change. I know for sure it did last time we sprang forward, earlier this year. Anyone else's "rhythm" get thrown off?
  • edited 11/10/2013 @ 12:26:11 PM
    I "miss" the hour's sleep all summer, until I finally get it back in the fall.
  • It doesn't throw you off in any other way though besides you losing that one hour? e.g., going to bed at a different time, waking up earlier/later, etc.