Coincidence? I THINK NOT!!!

edited 12/06/2010 @ 3:02:25 PM in General Discussion

Comments

• Interesting, I'm not convinced that the party of the mayor alone is the only factor involved though -- or even a major factor.
  • San Francisco. One of the wealthiest cities in the country. Strangely no Republican mayors since 1967.

The thing those cities have in common that makes them poor is their loss of manufacturing jobs, not the party of the mayor.

• edited 12/07/2010 @ 10:23:45 AM
  • The Dems are the party of the poor - who need the welfare and various assistance programs to keep their families alive. These cities are voting that way
    because they know who installs these services.
    If the Republicans do come into power, the welfare programs go away. What's the issue here? Do the Reps
    show that they care for the poor?
    The people are getting what they require. The State provides it because they really need it. It's not just cause they're lazy. Sometimes there just
    aren't any jobs.

The Republicans are fighting for low George Bush taxes for those who make over $250K. There are no people making over $250K in those cities.
    Would you be voting for them if you were living in one of the top ten poorest cities?
  • So how about any help for your fellow man? Does Welfare just promote people to have more kids, get more sick, break more bones,
    get more hungry. I think we're putting the cart before the horse here. The Welfare systems we have were not created to get votes from the poor.
    The poor need these ways to keep them from going under. The homeless once had a home.
    You don't just decide to be poor. Something happens like losing the job, getting sick, getting in trouble with the law, etc.
    If you were poor before, you gotta know how it felt to have no choice in the matter. How do I make the rent this month?
    These needs don't just go away by borrowing money from aunts or uncles. It stays there until you find the job or move in with
    some friend until the financial system gets better.
    It's hard to hold a job if you've been in trouble before. Drugs are not always used just to have fun. Pressure to keep a family afloat
    is not that easy to deal with. So you get the DUI or get busted for doing something else you shouldn't. Did you do it because Welfare
    made you?
  • If you buy auto insurance and 6 months later, after you have only paid $600, you total your car, do you expect to only get the $600 you paid back?
    Of course not, it is an insurance policy, not a savings account. You get a new or fixed car for whatever your deductible was. If you never have an accident you don't get any money and if you are never laid off from work you do not get any money back you paid into unemployment insurance.
  • Point taken Jay, but voluntary insurance is different from compulsory insurance. If consumers truly wanted unemployment insurance they would purchase on the market; but since everyone is forced to, those who'd rather just save the extra money can't, thus screwing up their spending patterns and messing up the market.