Reading Comprehension

edited 12/07/2010 @ 7:42:07 AM in General Discussion
My son, Sabuk, is a high school sophomore. He has confided in me that he has reading problems. He finds that he often spaces out while reading a sentence and has to go back and read it again. He finds that it takes him more time because of so many rereads needed to finish the story or instruction.
So, I thought I'd ask this forum for advice.

I know that I've taught myself to focus on the subject at hand by kinda getting pissed at myself if I stray off the path. If I find that I'm hearing the birds twittering or I'm smelling the roses, I'm not focused enough and again push myself to get thru this. I found that, although I was a lot angrier during the day, I would stay thinking about the work at hand and finish it quickly and accurately. Is this compulsive behavior? I don't know. But, it kept me getting work. I would always be done quickly.

So, that's how I've dealt with this problem, personally. I'm not sure that I want to present this approach to Sabuk. Does anyone have another method or way of staying focused on the subject when one is reading? Oh yeah, the subject matter doesn't seem to matter much. If he is reading instructions for a new video game, he finds the spacing happening as much as reading a History textbook.

How does one change this attitude about reading? Being open-minded to the external events is important - like if there's a fire nearby or an earthquake happening. But, one learns to prioritise events in the background mind. I guess life teaches one to pay attention to the road when one is driving. He will be getting his driving permit soon. This might help.

Any comments?

Comments

• I was always an A&B student, from grade 7 up through college.

When reading material that is just packed full of facts, I found that I have a tendency to dwell on facts and what significance they might have, and that was forcing me to have to re-read certain paragraphs, (when resuming reading) to assure that I didn't skip content.

this was very time consuming as well.

What worked for me was to plan to read all materials twice. Once, straight through, just to get a feel for where the important stuff might be, placing book marks wherever I thought important concepts might lie, and not worrying so much about mastery the first time through.

then, after I knew what was in the chapter/assignment, I'd go back later to digest key concepts and memorize important facts.
  • edited 12/07/2010 @ 11:19:57 AM
  • When reading books that I am very interested in, I tend to space out reading the sections that don't seem to offer the content that i am looking for.

For instance, suppose I was reading a book about UFO's because I was interested in their extra terrestrial aspect, but the author drifts into this lengthy discussion of USOs, I find that I sometimes can read through a half dozen pages of this "fluff" and not recall a stitch of it.
  • Have his eyes checked.
  • That's an interesting thought, Geno.
  • edited 12/08/2010 @ 8:28:27 AM
    There is something strange going on. While just typing in normal words and text without any special characters or any code, I get a "you do not have permission to post" message.
  • The best way to change someone's mind about reading is to give them books about things they are passionately interested in. If that doesn't work, there is a cognitive problem.
  • edited 12/08/2010 @ 8:31:18 AM
    Have him checked for ADHD. It is estimated that 25% of college students use Ritalxx before taking and/or studying for tests because it helps them focus. When taken as directed by a physician to treat a legitimate medical condition, Ritalxx has proven to be a safe and effective medication. Medical studies have shown that individuals who have ADHD and who take Ritalxx orally in proper dosages do not become addicted to the drug.

There are other non drug regimes you can find if you find he does have ADHD. Scientology claims they can fix ADHD without drugs. So do many other groups. Diet is often claimed to effect attention disorders. Sugar is often claimed to be a cause.

The best way to change someone's mind about reading is to give them books about things they are passionately interested in. If that doesn't work, there is a cognitive problem.
  • For some reason the word R-i-t-a-l-i-n causes the app to censor me. ??????? Oh mr. interlocutor.....
  • My host's ModSecurity rules are causing both problems, sorry (built-in spam "protection" kicks in for certain words like drug names). I asked them to remove the rule and ones like it, by the time you read this it should be fixed.
  • Ritalin! Ritalin. Ritalin? Ritalin!
  • edited 12/09/2010 @ 7:49:13 AM
    Wow, draconian rules. Now I'll edit my post.

It must have reverted, I still cannot post Ritaliq.
  • If I just post the word it posts, if I use it in a sentence it stops me.
  • Censorship is so complicated. Can't you turn the whole thing off?
  • edited 12/09/2010 @ 10:11:07 AM
    I find the SQ3R method extremely effective. I employ this method when reading through dry tech manuals/deployment white papers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQ3R
  • edited 12/09/2010 @ 12:20:31 PM
    Sorry, try again, apparently they had to also add the post editing module to their exclude list.

Edit: I am using Ritalin in a sentence.
  • edited 12/09/2010 @ 1:46:50 PM
  • OK, I get it. I'll pass this along to the kid. He doesn't want me to help him very much.
    We have a precarious relationship about school. He likes the help and energy I can add
    to stay on track. But, he also is ready to rebel, so I need to use reverse psychology