A Face in the Crowd

edited 12/07/2010 @ 11:49:14 AM in General Discussion

Comments

• The unadmitted but known by all Arthur Godfrey story.
  • That's an interesting point, Knuckle. Are those two concerns mutually exclusive?
    I'm both concerned with how I come across and also concerned with staying who I am in spite of whatever else is happening.
  • edited 12/09/2010 @ 11:44:46 AM
  • edited 12/10/2010 @ 8:30:28 AM
  • edited 12/10/2010 @ 12:47:42 PM
    I guess that's what I meant about not judging too quickly. Everyone has an armor outfit that they wear when out on the street.
    You only get to see thru the armor plate when you spend some time and get to find out the truth.
    People know their own handicaps. They expend a lot of work to keep them hidden.

I often think I understand the situation because I can read what's on his mind. I can only read what's on my mind.
    So, it takes a few discussions for the true animal cruelty to become visible.

I try not to fall in love with the beauty queen for the same reasons. They often are real high-maintenance that I'm not wanting to recognize at the moment.
  • I guess there's the "3 shades of me" at work too.

There's the "me" that I think I am
    the "me" that others believe me to be
    and the real "me",.. usually somewhere in between.
  • I've been exposed to that concept - of how you think you are perceived, how you are getting over on the public, and how it really is. That last one
    is usually kept under the rug in your brain. We don't want to admit many of our own faults. Those are things other people do - I'm honest and trustworthy.

I was tempted to cheat on my wife when I was young. It was both exciting and guilt-laden. It didn't happen. But, I eventually did mention it to my wife.
    Wow, did she get pissed. That may have been what finally got me my divorce - that lack of trust that developed.

I guess if a relationship is based on lies - even nice lies - it will only last for the moment. I watched the movie. He was certainly honest about how he viewed
    the public. The public was surprised when they found out. That live mike has done damage to a number of public speakers.

I'm sure many public servants have these thoughts about how stupid they are if I could convince them. It's the club that I wouldn't join if they'd
    have me as a member. I suppose that he didn't have much respect for himself. He could charm the audience, but did he ever believe it himself?

Since it does all come out in the wash, I've found that it's a lot easier to just be who you are and don't worry about all the different personalities you can construct.
    It's really difficult to keep track of what I said to him about her and all that. Why even go there? What does it gain anyone to construct another version of the
    resume. The true one is the one that'll get you the job. I really believe the honesty being the best policy bit.
  • Most people think other people have a better opinion of them then they actually do. (Graduate study in Sociology)

We usually have a different "act" for every relationship. That is why it can be uncomfortable when two people you have relationships with, say your wife and a good friend, are in your company at the same time.
    How do I act? (Pick the wife act, your friend will figure it out--if he is your friend).
    "
    99% of what we think goes uncommunicated to anyone. There is no "real" you. Every you" there is, is a construct of someone's brain. Reality is a concept. Concepts are constructs of the mind, their relationship to "reality" is unverifiable. That is where belief comes in, to save us from chaos and panic.

Nothing is real
    and nothing to get hung about
    Strawberry Fields Forever!