New GPU

edited 12/01/2010 @ 7:19:42 AM in Computer / Tech Talk
So the 4870 was starting to show its age a bit, I ordered a PNY GTX 460. It's great... Smaller, quieter, faster than the 4870. Yay for technology!

I hear it's also a great overclocker, I'll have to try that out later.

Comments

• How does it compare with the 5770? I've been looking at both of these cards. The 5770 is big and a bit noisy from the reviews.
  • Hey Ben, I assume you have the 1GB version and not the 768MB version, right? Did you have the 1GB 4870 and if so, how much of a difference have you noticed in gameplay?

Iggy, from what I understand, the 5770 is about the same as a 4870 in terms of performance. However, the temps and noise are supposed to be considerably smaller. I think the 2d power usage is only 19 Watts at idle.
    "For God so loved the world..."
  • Well, I have yet to test it extensively, the only thing I've done on it is played a bit of WoW, and ever since the new patch (they upgraded the graphics), my 4870 (1GB) would choke on some areas and drop into the 30's in FPS. The 460 just seems to sit at 60 (capped) wherever I go.
  • The 460 is an excellent chip... low power consumption when idling and even under load. I would have gotten it instead of the 470 I now have had it been "officially" supported by Adobe CS5. However, there is a hack to enable GPGPU rendering on CS5 for those with 460's.
  • Congrats on your good fortune! By coincidence I have an EVGA 8800 GTS 640 running on my kid's computer which also bit the dust last week... after more than 5 years of heavy duty usage. I began by installing the 5850 I removed off my PC. I ended up installing a bigger hard drive (again one I took off my PC) and installing Windows 7. His PC now feels almost new again... I'm just hoping the 450W PSU holds up.
  • Yeah, it really surprised me how long that 8800 lasted. It was heavily overclocked the whole time and a lot of the time it was sitting there running Folding@Home, though I eventually stopped that just because my room was way too hot.

These 460's can overclock though. I am running Furmark and bumping up the clock speeds, the 768MB is so far at 870 core stable. The 1GB's core tops out at 830 before Furmark crashes but the memory so far is at 1100 (4400), quite an overclock on both cards.
  • cyclo, what power supply is it? In my opinion, I would replace that with something newer just to avoid potential problems. Even a good branded 650 Watt power supply would be not to expensive I believe.

BenT, I have a XFX 4890 and XFX 4870 1GB models in Crossfire and so far am quite pleased with them. I picked up the 4870 as a refurb for a $100 back in June otherwise, I may not have done the Crossfire thing. I would overclock my CPU but the board and ram are holding it back. (Phenom II 945 95 Watt version.)

I could get 16GB of DDR3 ram and a good board for around $300 but I just do not feel like it at the moment. (Everything is just working and I do not feel like dealing with any potential hassles.) Just wish I could find inexpensive DDR2 800 or 1066 ram to upgrade to 8GB from 4GB instead.

Have fun.
    "For God so loved the world..."
  • I have a GTS 250 from BFG in my gaming rig - Call of Duty: Black Ops looks fantastic on it. Need to update my monitor next. Anyone have a favorite gaming LCD that they could recommend (Under $350)?
  • ASUS VW224U 22" $179 at the egg, on sale now for $159 3 yr warranty