CPU magazine

13»

Comments

• Oh Jay, ever the bait master. The employer can do whatever he/she wants under the confines of the law. If they choose to have a non christian environment, then it would be up to the employees whether they want to stay or not. I personally don't wear any jewellery, not a religious belief or anything, I just find it tedious. I don't even wear my wedding ring.

What ticks me off are employees who would try to change the work environment. You are not in charge, put up or get out.
  • I wonder what the Chinese workers in those sweat shops would say about that - if they were permitted to say anything, of course.
  • What was this argument about again?
  • So is your beef with the fact that it was taken off the list because gays made a fuss about it, or is your beef with the fact that it was taken off the list because you think it should be on the list, and if the latter, what is the benefit to having it on the list?
  • Wow, all this just because cpu mag is shutting down some things? Wait, what?
    "For God so loved the world..."
  • What? really? How come I only got a wallet sized black and white?

And I haven't that much time left, should I contact someone?

Do I need a printer?

I was trekking through some really sweat Napalese before Nixon shut it all down.
    That must be where I lost the big picture.
  • I thought you'd never ask. I grew up in Chicago on the South Side near the Stock Yards. The Lithuanians (my parents) couldn't speak any English, but could swing that meat cutter. Everyone was expecting to return to the old country as soon as the politics got straightened out. Nobody ever went back to the old country. We yutes all grew up and I decided to move to California.

2 years later, I divorced my wife because I couldn't handle her hanging out with the gay guys upstairs more than hanging with me. I was depressed and decided to go travelling. Best thing that ever happened to me. I went from Morocco thru Europe thru Turkey and Iran out to Pakistan and finally India. I've been to India 6 times. I was a hippy and was pursuing the hobby of smoking marijuana. I'd come back to the USA and work for a while to earn enough to bankroll the next trip. The money out there goes a lot farther than it does out here - like about 10 times. So with $3K or $4K, I could last for a year or more. That's food, lodging, trains and buses, music concerts, beaches (like Goa in Bourne #2,) and some really nice houseboats in Shrinigar where India and Pakistan are fighting today.

I'd get the word that our funding at Space Sciences Lab at UCBerkeley was being cut off. So, I'd buy a ticket to Bangkok and wait out the year, travelling in Burma or Indonesia, until I'd get word that they've got some money to finish the project. This continued for 20 years.

I met my current wife at Berkeley and got her pregnant. That changed the travelling man into a respectable worker. I installed a video telephone system for Morgan Stanley (right on Wall Street on the trading floor) working for Vicor - a job from being connected at Berkeley. That got me the down payment for a house. No more single guy renting an apartment driving an old Honda Civic. That was about 20 years ago. My sons are 20 and 16. My wife is still here.

No Peace Corps or other associations. Just really love to travel. Been to China for 4 months, South America for 9 months, I learned a few languages along the way.

Jay, I didn't mean to imply that you weren't seeing the big picture. (I bet you have a nice view out there in AZ.) I was only saying that I got some views about why things are the way they are, while I was on my own search in Nepal.
  • Ig, we were both "hippies" in 1969, but I was kidnapped by the USA. I was trained to kill and put on the other side of the world and left looking for a way home. I never found it. In the big picture: we are so small that we are invisible to everyone but ourselves and our egos.

I found that the more certain you are of anything, the less likely you are to be right. This is a very disquieting realization and not one to be tried by the faint of heart. The previous statements are, of course, included in this paradox.
  • 1. Nope, I've always been non-schizophrenic.

2. I have checked pretty much all of them.
    Nothing really stayed to ever become a problem.
    Mary Jane was fun. But, it's bad for the lungs and it's hard to finish any job - cause who cares?

3. Benares, India. I spent a number of years in that town.

The steps at Dasas Whamed Ghat (Steps of the 10 horses) were full of interesting tourists and locals.
    Indians go there when they get old - it's a direct line to Nirvana - no re-incarnation if you die there.
    Lines of people waiting to get to their relative's funeral pyre - vultures fighting the crazed dogs for the unburned remnants floating in the Ganges.
    People bathing right next to all those things floating by.

A bit gross. But, the tea is good and the concerts are tremendous. Music is talking to God.
    I heard some really great, 3 hour solos, by the best musicians in India. The concerts last all night.

Friendly bacteria apparently clean up all the disease.
    I swam there every morning and I never got sick.
    I'd retire there if I wasn't already retired here. I plan to go again. The music,
    the smells, the tastes, the elephants and monkeys, the weirdness of daily life
    there is just head and shoulders above any other place anywhere.
  • After so many seasons, even the best comic writers run out of jokes.
  • But not the best comics, eg, Johnathan Winters.