Cultural sensitivities

edited 10/29/2010 @ 6:35:52 PM in General Discussion
I watched an exposee of Mel Gibson on the bio channel the other night, and it got me to thinking.

Why is it that if anyone ever questions the holocaust in any frame or fashion, doing so is considered "anti-semitic?

Any historical event is bound to grow some embellishments and misperceptions. I'm not talking about claims that the entire event never happened, because we all know that it did. What I'm talking about is conjecture exploring the total accuracy of some of the claims that have evolved over the years.

It seems that any suggestion that objective perception might vary from what has nearly become dogma, is Anti-semitic. Seems like a cultural taboo or a purpose driven moral panic might be at work here?

Comments

• And this deals with Computer/Techhelp how?
  • Pretty soon we're going to have the J word, and only Jewish comedians will be able to use it.
  • So, every time there's a black actor on the screen, should it be considered anti-white activity?
    How about someone gay speaking on the screen? Does that suggest Christian family values are being discounted? How far do you draw these lines of distinction?

What is this question about? Are you referring to this single instance by Mel or does the question refer to every single time someone mentions the Holocaust?

Who is applying the anti-semitic label?

• Gibson is just a convenient (and easy to spell) example.

When Mahmoud Ahmadinejad once stated that he felt that certain aspects of the holocaust might have been embellished for effect, he was immediately branded anti-Semitic for daring to ponder that which some evidently consider to be sacred and incontestable facts.

Now (personally) I can see branding the outright holocaust deniers as anti semitic (those who try and claim it never happened, etc)... But those who simply strive for an unbiased weighing of the facts, with a bent towards objectivity (those who, for example, point out that the crematoriums served legitimate purpose as well by eliminating diseased corpses from crowded environments where typhus was a serious concern) seem to be branded "AS" as well, for merely venturing too far beyond the constraints of groupthink.
  • edited 11/08/2010 @ 10:03:41 AM
    I never stand on topics, that's how I have managed to live so long. As for cleansing, I wash my hands quite often because it makes the strings on my 12-string last much longer and they are a bitch to change.

Who is stopping you from expressing yourself in any words you want?

The "J" word? Hey! That's my name! I am not nor have ever been Jewish, but I give you permission to use the word Jew in any way you want. However I will not guard your house or answer your phone.

Political correctness only bothers you if you let it--no one here is listened to enough to make a dent in the zeitgeist, so let er fly.

That said; we all here reserve the right to judge anyone and everyone's words in any way we like. Here, political correctness is an individual thing.

You don't think Muslim has become a racial slur in many heads? I think a survey of Americans (The Greatest Country EVER!) would show most people would rather be called a Jew than a Muslim.

As for "Group Think", that is just a cliche for the "common sense" part of culture you do not like. You completely ignore the parts you do willingly internalize, yet they are just as much "Group Think" as those you will not swallow. Group Think is culture. Its how all this happened--people agreeing on things and how to get them done.
  • edited 11/08/2010 @ 2:56:43 PM
  • edited 11/09/2010 @ 8:20:04 AM
  • edited 11/10/2010 @ 5:34:25 PM
  • I don't need to read theories about cultural superiorities, I fought a war with our great western guns, chemicals and steel against those easterners--they won. And they won mainly because it was their house and they had perfected a cultural strategy over centuries I will oversimplify thus: Any bear, no matter how giant, can be driven away with small cuts that never stop.

The genetic lines, revealed by DNA, show that the threads of migration that left Africa beginning 75,000 years ago have crossed and recrossed and recrossed... until now, if you randomly took a person from any country, no matter how ethnically "pure" they look, it is highly probable their DNA will contain strains of migrations from many disparate places.

We are all Africans and we are all mutts. Ain't it the nuuuuttzz!
  • Yes, and even the "Blacks" that stayed in Africa more often than not have DNA from migrations that went through Europe and Asia.

All of our ancestors are from a small group of aprox 20,000 people that managed to hold on during the last major climate change. We all started as Africans. There have been hundreds of different migrations leaving Africa over those 75,000 years. And those migrations split and joined with others. So we are now all African mutts, with evolutionary changes that are caused by the environment in different parts of the earth, mixed together in our blood. Are differences are skin deep. Unfortunately, our fear of different colored skin and facial characteristics goes way deeper than our skin. It is as deep as our tribal instincts to compete, control and survive.