WikiLeaks

2»

Comments

• edited 12/08/2010 @ 4:47:51 PM
  • Without advertising, I'd watch a lot more programs. Maybe advertising is a blessing in disguise. I find that I'm sitting a lot
    more. A few push-ups and sit-ups won't do any good unless I spend as much time exercising as I do sitting in front of screens.

Maybe I can put the two activities together. It would be hard to do the typing, though. Does Kurzweil still make the voice-to-type
    machine? Has anyone used one? There are so many words that sound the same ...
  • edited 12/16/2010 @ 9:30:15 AM
  • You know who owns a big chunk of Geico? Warren Buffett.
  • He's kinda rich. Isn't he?
    That's not bad in the abstract.
    But, it does send up a red flag for me.
    Tnks Jay.
  • edited 12/17/2010 @ 2:32:06 PM
  • edited 12/17/2010 @ 4:22:36 PM
  • edited 12/18/2010 @ 11:01:10 AM
    I try and do business with companies that I care about. There are still stores that are more personal, that will help me find something
    if it's not on the shelf - "I think I saw a palette in the back with some of those."
    Many stores today have employees that are disconnected from the products they sell. This brings up the chains like Walmart, Target, K-Mart, etc.
    I've learned that if it's not on the shelf, we don't got any. They are paid minimum wage and have no incentive to be helpful.

Now, Geico has given me my required insurance at a cheaper price - so, I went with them. That's the free market in action.
    Walmart prices are cheaper too. But, I don't give them my money. I spend a little time to see what the competition is doing - and if it's
    a little more, I'll just go there and lose a few bucks. I think I'm buying insurance in another manner.

Knuckle, I'm glad you put up that list. I don't regularly go direct to any of those companies. But, it's good to know. I'm still here to even
    out the playing field. I try to go for the underdog. The very rich guy is now making money by investing in derivatives on Wall Street. He's not
    working for his money. His money is working for him. That's the money changer that Jesus got pissed at. There are too many people still starving
    to just go to the cheap store and not worry about where that money will end up. No more Harbor Freight tools ...
  • You choose to believe I was saying something negative about Buffett or Geico.

I was only injecting a fact I found quite interesting when I read it. He is one of my favorite Icons.
    He thinks the people who have gathered unto themselves most of the wealth of this country should pay to fix things up.

I know nothing of Geico other than they really, really, really believe in advertising. It must be a very well run company.

It would be wonderful if the half-baked Alaskan Governor would run for the Rep nomination, just wonderful.
  • Maybe I put out the wrong idea when I responded to the Buffett list. I'm still paying Geico for my insurance. I don't hate the company.
    I do get annoyed by the constant ads - because I've seen them so many times.
    So, like I said, I just don't watch as much Hulu TV shows and all is well.

I hope that Buffett can use his money to fix some of America's problems.
    Wall Street could have a bit less freedom in their creative financial dealings. Is anyone watching the store?
    It does seem that only the rich big-whigs have the clout to lobby laws thru Congress.

Even Obama has gotten a few bills thru recently.
    It sounds like he's making deals with the GOP and will be giving up something in the future.
    He's losing the liberals - but, maybe he's lost that group a while ago.
  • What I find interesting is, in the last job I had in property management (owned by a sole proprietor) we had See's candy and Cort Furniture as tenants all over the place, and were instructed to use Benjamin Moore paint and Shaw Carpet for all renovation work, with a nationally negotiated price list. So, my bet is that our owner prolly owned a chunk of Berkshire Hathaway, and perhaps was chums with MR B, personally.